Monday, June 23, 2014

#70: Intolerable Cruelty

Hello, BookArtObject! Some of you may know that I am a hand papermaker and that I'm currently in Buenos Aires apprenticing with master papermaker, Alejandro Geiler. It has taken me a while to settle in, which is why this post is so overdue. My apologies! I took on the title 'Intolerable Cruelty" for my second book in the Book Art Object Edition #4. Taking the title as a prompt, I wrote a poem.



Here is the poem:

---------------------


Cold Feet

I misplaced my hat, or someone
lifted it but swiftly, and with
intolerable cruelty.

Memories return
of me
me and hat,

and how it once sat
over head.

Overheard it's way out to
                                       -JukkasjÀrvi-
             positioned itself in the Icehotel.

40,000 tons all’s told, all
Torne River ice and
Torne River snow, and

hundreds of heads wanting warming.

My lovely.
Wooly.
Wasted.
Hat.                                        
           
            (My silly icy head.)

---------------------

Most of all, I wanted the book structure to communicate a feeling of loss and the drawn-out, frozen in time state that comes with mourning. I chose an accordion fold structure. It allowed me to glue the spine of the first and last parts of the story to give a sense of fixation and being stuck in a memory. The part where the hat is off on a new adventure is left expandable, with an unglued spine.



The whole book was screen-printed on Mohawk text weight paper and I printed the hat separately on a synthetic felt material. The cover paper is Cave Paper- Granite. The pages in the first part of the book had cut-outs, so the hat was part of the story on the page but when you turned the page it was gone.






Here is a photo of the expandable section of the book:



I lined the back of the pages with paste paper I made with my friend, Peter Verheyen. If you're curious about the process, I wrote a blog post about it here: Finger Painting, But Better. Much Better.


I hope that my little book has made it to all of my group members. I've enjoyed becoming part of this community and project! Looking forward to the next edition.

If you want to follow along with my Buenos Aires paper adventure, you can find me at The Fiber Wire: Plugged in and Turned On. All Paper. All the Time. 


11 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations Genevieve. This looks great! I love your poem and the cover and the way the hat disappears. It all comes together so well. I'm enjoying following your papermaking adventures on FB. Have a wonderful time!

Genevieve said...

Thanks, Amanda! Your encouragement means a lot to me. :)

Genevieve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
layers said...

So much thought and effort put into your book... about hat and poem and accordion all coming together to wonderful effect.

Sending Pages Out to Dry said...

Very nice! Thanks for describing your process. If it's ok, I'd like to put your link on the Paper Trail Art Center's website. Paper Trail is a new studio centered around paper and book arts in Atlanta.
(www.papertrailartcenter.com)

Alicia Griswold
Atlanta

Genevieve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Genevieve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Genevieve said...

Thank you layers and Alicia. I think you're asking to share a link to my blog, am I right Alicia? I would love for you to do that! Thank you. :D

Arzigogolare said...

I enjoyed seeing all of the images of your very tactile-looking book, and being able to read your poem in its entirety. I just love how the hat is present at first and then literally goes missing from the pages as well as the poem/story - very cleverly done. Brava - it must feel great to be finished!
- Lisa

Genevieve said...

Thank you for your comments and feedback, Lisa. It does feel good to be done! Although, I am truly looking forward to the next BookArtObject!

All Consuming said...

Brilliant. I love it. What an achievement!