Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Not the Great Library of Alexandria.....

If you followed or took part in Edition 3 of BAO, you will know that we were inspired by a piece of writing by Jeanette Winterson describing her vision of the Great Library of Alexandria.


"400,000 volumes in vertiginous glory.
The Alexandrians employed climbing boys much in the same way as the Victorians employed sweeps. Unnamed bipeds, light as dust, gripping with swollen fingers and toes, the nooks and juts of sheer-faced walls." 


Well, I could not resist sharing this link to Erik Kwakkel's wonderful blog post, showing the library at Sakya Monastery in Tibet. I'm amazed how closely it resembled the image I had in my mind after reading Winterson's words. Thankfully no climbing boys to be seen!

2 comments:

Sara Bowen said...

Hi Amanda, I can see what you mean about the towering wall of books: it reminded me of your print :-) Thanks for sharing the link

bryanbeus said...

I love this visual picture! It never occurred to me that the Alexandrians would employ young boys to manage the library--like janitors nowadays...

Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to checking out the link.