Saturday, August 31, 2013

A quick hello from Impact 8...

... where our Edition Four books are causing quite a stir!  There was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing about whether I had an exhibition or an Open Books session at the conference in addition to my paper, but in the end I was lucky enough to get an exhibition slot (which is what I thought I'd got in the first place!) and laid out a long plinth with a selection of the books we sent to Sarah Bodman.  Sarah kindly brought them up with her in the car from Bristol, saving me the effort of bringing them over in my suitcase.

























I think my talk went OK: I did a slideshow of lots of BAO Edition Four photos, plus a more detailed investigation of selected works: thank you to Caren, Helen and Jack for giving me permission to use their work for my talk and for sharing their words with me as I put it together.   I was talking about my journey as a printmaker into artists' books and how they function in my practice.  Anyway, I managed NOT to fluff my words, the technology worked for a change (I turned up with 3 different technological versions of the slide show and 2 printed versions of my talk!) and I had fun.

When I set out I had visions of mobile blogging from the airport onwards, but it hasn't quite turned out that way and I'm finding myself slightly frustrated with not being able to share more with you at the moment.  My guesthouse has a Wi-Fi connection but it's not robust enough for me to be able to do much in the way of uploading photos, and for some reason my phone I mean camera :-) has ceased to connect automatically to my laptop which means it isn't uploading photos to the laptop, which makes everything a bit difficult.  However, don't feel too sorry for me as I am writing this, sitting in the Macmanus Gallery in Dundee with a nice café latte, a packet of Scottish tablet (a lovely creamy fudge which I haven't eaten in over 30 years) in my pocket, surrounded by the accents of my childhood.  And in the few days I've been here I've had two brilliant trips into Arbroath, 17 miles up the coast, exploring the sea cliffs where my father took photographs almost 50 years ago, and looking around the town where generations of his family came from. 


























Dundee has put on all sorts of print-related activities during the conference and I had a gallery-crawl last night, lubricated with a couple of glasses of Shetland Islands gin and tonic. At Dundee Contemporary Arts I thoroughly enjoyed an exhibition of Sister Carita (must check the name, but I think that's right), a nun in 1960 - 1970s LA who taught art and art history. These are her rules of creativity, and I think I'm going to print them out and stick them on my studio wall, as well as ram them down the throats of my students.

8 comments:

ronnie said...

looks fantastic sara - trust you are having a FANTASTIC time (especially now that your talk is over) xx

Elephant's Child said...

Oh wow. I would have loved to have been there.

Jack Oudyn said...

Thanks Sara sounds like a great time and lots of fun. Glad my little book could make it even though I couldn't.Glad the talk went well too.

Victoria said...

Spent a week with a group of artists at La Casa de Maria in Santa Barbara, California a couple of years ago. Sister Corita was a nun & teacher there and did wonderful, witty serigraphs. My favourite: simple floral shape with the words: "First ecstasy, the the laundry."

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Thanks for the report, and happy to hear it's going so well. I am sorry I couldn't get my two to you in time, alas, but judging from the photo, BAO is well represented with a great display. I hope you continue to have a wonderful time!

Helen M said...

Great to hear from you Sara and that all went really well. Enjoy the rest of your time there.

Fiona Dempster said...

Congrats Sarah on your talk and on the display - and thanks for sharing our work so far away.

Aine Scannell said...

SARA

IT WAS ABSOLUTELY LOVELT TO MEET YOU IN PERSON

yes the display for the books from Edition four looked really good. Hope you enjoy your residency in Venice !!!!

I loved it there........

Aine