Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Al- Mutanabbi at John Rylands Library: Manchester

I know quite a few of us BAO-ers are also part of the Al-Mutanabbi Street project, and I recently visited the exhibition at the John Rylands Library in Manchester (UK). The building is wonderful and the exhibition looked great in its surroundings so I just thought I'd share a few photos with you of my visit.





Really worth a visit if you can make it there, even just to see the architecture! Was great to see the collection of artists' books too, but also frustrating as most were closed and all behind glass - the eternal struggle with displaying book art!








Abigail

3 comments:

Sara Bowen said...

Oh, oh, I saw my book in the photo! Thank you Abigail! :-) I wasn't sure if it was in the show, but you proved me wrong. I've not been to that library but it looks amazing and you sound like you had fun. Thanks for posting,, Sara x

Abigail Thomas said...

Yeah it was! I saw lots of peoples work there, but photographing through glass is pretty much impossible!

Gardener in the Distance said...

A superb setting, but, as you suggest, frustrating that the objects are tucked away safe behind glass. There's nothing like touching a book, or any piece of craft, to get to know it better, understanding as I do, the difficulties therein!