Wednesday, May 15, 2013

SLQ Follow-Up Fun!

As you've seen below in Helen's post and also over at Double Elephant , Sara Bowen's blog, a number of us were lucky enough to attend a seminar on artists' books at the State Library of Queensland.

I thought that as there are a few reports on the seminar floating around the blogosphere (see Helen and Sara's posts) and the talk itself will be available soon on the SLQ website to download, that I might propose something a little different.

The second part of the talk was most interesting I found, as two of the speakers shared a short list (four or five) of their favourite artists' books from the SLQ collection. They spoke a bit about what they felt made the book so successful and of course showed us some pictures.

It was fascinating to be introduced to some new books, some by artists who were also new to me, to see some "old favourites" appear, and afterwards to think of some books which did not appear that may have been expected. Of course, it doesn't really mean much, as there are some 400+ artists' books in the collection and only nine were presented by the two speakers. Nevertheless, it has occupied my thoughts quite a bit since the afternoon.

So I thought that it might be fun to ask BAO blog readers to offer up a choice or two (or as many as you like really) to share with one another. In doing this, we need to observe good netiquette, so here are a couple of guidelines.

1) PLEASE no downloading images from peoples sites or blogs to post here.
2) Instead, just provide the name of the artist, and the book, and a link to their work.
3) Please do tell us why you really love the book.
4) It's just for fun, so don't feel as if you absolutely have to work out your absolutely most favouritest AB in the world before you can join in.

And to kick things off , I thought I would share two of my favourites.

1) Cell Memory by Macy Chadwick which you can see at Abecedarian Gallery. I actually own a copy of this book, so now I can read the text which is beautiful. Initially I was drawn to it because of the interaction of the pages with light, the sense of fragility and the idea conveyed by the title. It speaks of the wonder of nature, of cells, and the body.

2) Vessels by Adele Outteridge, seen on the Uni of Melbourne site. I think this book really speaks to me because I used to be a potter, so the vessel form really hits a chord. Also, I am drawn to the delicate ephemeral effect of the transparent pages and the metaphor of the book as a container for knowledge. To me, this work has a lot of power because it is both beautiful and very strong
conceptually.

As you can see, I tend to rave on a bit, so please don't let me put you off. I think it could be terrific if a number of you do jump in and share your favourite ABs for others to see.

No comments: