Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sara's Pozible Project

A week or so ago two fantastic friends, Shane and Jo, came around and spent a couple of hours of their precious time videoing me in my studio.  No, I'm definitely not famous but I have set up a Pozible fundraising project, which is what this post is about.

I feel slightly embarrassed about posting information about my project here since it has never been my intention to tie BookArtObject to money in any way, but I am hoping that you might consider supporting my fundraising effort as I try to raise the money to go to Europe later this year.

I'm taking part of BookArtObject to the Impact 8 international interdisciplinary printmaking conference in Dundee, Scotland, at the end of August.  We've been saving our air miles for my plane tickets so I can get to Europe and back.  But while I'm there I've been offered a two week artists' residency at the Scuola Internationale di Grafica in Venice, Italy.  I've applied unsuccessfully for several residencies over the years but I guess no-one has trusted me with one because I don't have a track record!  After all, they're not holidays, they're a chance to immerse yourself somewhere new and work VERY hard on your own particular art project without all the usual interruptions you'd have at home.  It feels very special to have finally been invited to do a residency and it would be great to have the chance to do it while I'm already in Europe.

But.  There's always a 'but'!  It's quite simple: I can't afford it.  The residency isn't free, and I will need to feed myself while I'm there, as well as buy a few art supplies.  So I'm hoping to raise $2,000 Australian dollars to fund the project and I've put together a Pozible crowd-funding campaign to help.  If you've never heard of 'crowd funding' you're not alone - it certainly isn't big in Australia yet.  The basic premise is that asking your friends to help you find $2,000 is unlikely to succeed, but if you can ask 200 people for $10 each and offer them something in return you might have a better chance of raising the money.  Pozible is an on-line platform that enables me to put together the campaign and show people something about what I do.  If I don't raise the whole $2,000 I get nothing at all - I only get the money if I meet my target.  There's a good reason for this: I need to present potential donors with a good case for my fundraising, and a sensible budget.  We all know there's no point in having half the money you need to do something because you still can't afford to do it, so instead of risking everyone's money on something that is bound to fail, the "all or nothing" approach means I only get the money if I can raise what I realistically need to undertake my residency.  The sweetner is that donors do get something in return and in this case the 'rewards' range from hand-written postcards from Venice to a limited edition artists' book, invitations to a private drinks party in Coffs Harbour before my solo show next year and vouchers for workshops at my studio. 

The bottom line is, I suppose, that crowd funding works.  A couple of years ago I helped to support an American-Korean artist who wanted to spend time in Korea learning traditional papermaking techniques.  She was great at keeping her supporters updated with her progress and I received some beautiful sheets of handmade Korean paper in return for my support.  Since then she's gone on to do bigger and better things, and I feel good about having helped her on her way.

Here's the link to my Pozible project!

Thank you for allowing me to post news of my Pozible project on here, and thank you for being great supporters of BookArtObject in all sorts of ways.

1 comment:

Ampersand Duck said...

Sara, it's great that you have this opportunity, and I don't think you should have any hesitation in asking the BAO community for help because it's YOU who made the community in the first place. I'm happy to support your trip, especially since I can't make it myself. You can be my eyes and ears. I'm hoping to get to Impact China in 2015!

$2000 is also a really rational and easily achievable sum of money, I hope you get it quickly, and more.