Sunday, January 20, 2013

It's Raining Stilled Lives


Dear Groups 1 and 6, I am sending the bulk of my books to you tomorrow, but I did send a few at the end of last week as a postal-charge tester while most of the envelopes were drying. So it will be a staggered arrival! I'm very pleased that I managed to keep the book within Large Letter dimensions, it will make its progress around the world a lot easier.

Here's a sneak peek:


It's not even really a peek, is it. This is just the spines of all the books, bound and wrapped ready for sending. They are very tall and thin, and there are two separate books (titles 12 and 58) within the one cover.  I'll explain more later, when the recipients have seen it first, which is all the fun of the project, isn't it?

Poor old book, it sat in my mind for months, and then when I had the time to do it, I got sick, and then when I recovered, we had (and are still having) a horrendous heat wave. So it's been an interesting process, and there is much that I would change, but having it done is really a relief. I hope my group-mates can find something in it that they like. 

I also hope everyone is managing to wrangle theirs! I just love what I've been seeing over the past year. I've decided to do a stock-take of my leftover BAO volumes (from earlier editions and this one) and offer them as swaps, if anyone is interested in the notion.

15 comments:

dinahmow said...

Kudos to you (anyone, actually) who can achieve anything in that heat!
I'm not in this group so I look forward to a bit more about process.
Yes, swapping is a lovely idea. Too bad I have no left-overs!

Ampersand Duck said...

Are you still doing story 7, Di? That makes you in group 6, doesn't it? I have a book addressed to you! :)

ronnie said...

ooo you are a clever duckie - most birds just fell from the sky from the heat of last week..... I'm pleased you fared better!

looking forward to seeing the reveal - and the swap is a marvelous idea...

Jack Oudyn said...

Glad to hear you are better but the heat has been difficult. Can't wait to see you book. in fact I've been sweating to hear from you and I'm always available for swapping.

The Elephant's Child said...

Definitely looking forward to the reveal.

Abigail Thomas said...

Ooooo well done for the wrangling! I'm trying to get on mine, but after having to give up my studio its been difficult. Must try harder now all these books keep arriving. Must save some post money too as all my books need to go to Aus or the USA from UK.
Looking forward to seeing the result of this sneak peak. Envelope looks wonderful too.
Ps. Still snowing here in London...

Anna Mavromatis said...

Can't wait!

Victoria said...

Beautiful images of a hidden treasure; a delightful tease. I would be very glad to trade and it would enrich the groups I teach/present to as I bring all the books I have received so far.

Since so many of us are sharing weather reports, here in Toronto, today was the coldest day we've had since before last winter. Clear with a very bitter strong wind. I've tried to come up with a plan to hibernate, but I think I'm outta luck! Too much to do . . . too little time.
Victoria, Group 7, "My Ancestors" pics on the blog.

Helen M said...

Unfortunately I'm not in your group but the envelope looks great and look forward to seeing more of the book. Yes would love to swap a book.

dinahmow said...

Oops! Yes, I am in Group 6! Blame the heat here, too.
Actually, I may have it ready to go next week.

Ampersand Duck said...

LOL, it's so hard to keep up, isn't it!

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Hard to keep up, indeed! Alas, I'm one of those still frantically trying to finish both of my editions (Groups 6 and 10). I look forward to seeing this, Duckie. I know it's going to be wonderful. I promise, someday(!) you will get something in return from California.

Abigail Thomas said...

It's Raining Stilled Lives arrived in London yesterday! In the rain! Thank you! Its extremely well thought out and executed; I am left thinking "uh oh" yet again as I have yet to produce a book for either of my groups. The idea is in my head; and there is a plan; just need time. Soon... soon....

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Duckie! It arrived today, and even more wonderful than I'd imagined. I love it! Thank you! It has such a delightfully perverse sense about it (in all the best ways), and so elegantly and beautifully made.

Ampersand Duck said...

Phew and yay! and thanks.