Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Flickr photos coming your way...

There you go: around 200 photographs uploaded of the 44 books I've received so far.  Thank you to those of you who have looked at the photos of their books and corrected my lamentable attempts to describe them!  I'm going to stop for now, and at some point in a month or two when I've accumulated photographs of more books I'll put them up too.

As part of the cataloguing process I've measured the books and attempted to describe them, assisted by your notes about construction and materials where you've included that information in either the colophon or your cover letter.  If I've got it madly wrong, please email me and let me know and I'll correct the descriptions in Flickr and on my spread sheet; in some cases I'm guessing so there are bound to be mistakes!  If you have any problem looking at the BookArtObject Flickr page, email me and I'll try and sort things out.

For the tech-heads who are interested in such things, I use a Fujifilm S5 Pro digital SLR camera with a Sigma EX F2.8 macro lens and a Tamron AF 28 - 80mm lens, with Glanz studio lights and a 1.2m light tent.  Actually, the light tent was a bit of a pain and I ended up taking a few books out of the tent and photographing them against a sheet of etching paper, propped up on my desk, particularly if I had to pick out embossing as I couldn't get raked lighting inside the tent.  I borrowed the tent and the lights from TAFE so I may not have them when I photograph books I receive after the start of the semester (I have to return the equipment on Monday!), but I reckon I've figured out a few things now and will be able to get some decent shots on my desk even without all the 'kit'.  I should say that I am no photographer and it's probable that you've taken better photos of your book than I have, in which case, email me to get the log-on for the BookArtObject Flickr page and you can upload your photos instead of mine.

10 comments:

Bertie said...

Thank you for doing this; it must be quite a job. It will become a great overview of edition 4. I've subscribed to the feed of the Flickr set, looking forward to see the collection grow.

ronnie said...

wow! what an effort sara - thanks for all you've been doing xxx

Amanda said...

Fantastic effort Sara! It must be exciting seeing all those books together. Thank-you so much for everything you are doing.

Ampersand Duck said...

You are awe-inspiring! Thanks so much, and you should be encouraging people to donate a couple of $$ (even $2 ea) to your PayPal account to help with costs and time.

Helen M said...

What an enormous job you've already done Sara, with much more to come. Thanks so much for doing this - we will all be excited to see the edition all together.

jac said...

This is such a big job to take on. Thanks very much for doing it. Its going to be great to be able to see everyone's books in one place it.

Anna Mavromatis said...

Incredible task and so beautifully done!
Thank you for showcasing all these works.
xox

rObfOs said...

Thanks, Sara! So nice to see all the contributions to BAO so far.
What a clever way to catalogue the collection.
Thanks for being such a great linchpin for this ongoing and ever increasing project.

Abigail Thomas said...

This is very exciting; to see glimpses of everyones books so far. It is like the whole project is unfolding over several days. Love it. I am feeling extremely envious and also a little scared, as mine are yet to be completed.

Sara Bowen said...

I don't think you need to worry, Abigail - I haven't started my books either! I have lots of thoughts and have done many drawings, looked at lots of source material, gazed into the distance.. .and haven't got anywhere yet! :) Sara x