Monday, January 7, 2013

#90 True Grit


My third title for Edition Four, #90 True Grit just made it into 2012 by being completed a few days before Christmas.  I posted it out to members of Group 11 on 2nd January.

I decided to ignore the obvious connections to the title True Grit, and thought the most fitting example of unfaltering courage and true grit are the asylum seekers who flee their homeland for Australia by taking risky and dangerous journeys with people smugglers in a desperate attempt to find peace and freedom from persecution.

The book is made up of digital prints of five linocuts with a collage mounted in 3D into Canson card and shows a small fishing boat battling huge seas.  There is also a text page and a colophon.

I have really enjoyed being part of BookArtObject in 2012 and working on this great project. I'd like to thank Sara Bowen and the others working behind the scenes who have made this such a great experience. I'm looking forward to participating in Edition 5.

8 comments:

dinahmow said...

True grit,indeed!Driven by desperation and the tiny boat conveys that.

The Elephant's Child said...

What a wonderful, accurate and ethical interpretation of true grit. Now to convince our politicians and media...

ronnie said...

will start to stalk the post office! this looks amazing - just like all your work xx

ronnie said...

you are NOT going to believe this - but now sooner had I hit the 'publish' button when my man turned up with the day's mail - and inside was a delicious bit of 'true grit'...... gads how beautifully crafted this is helen.... and such a marvelous interpretation of a title - I feel totally blessed to be a recipient xx

Ersi Marina Samara said...

Yet another book by you that firmly grasps reality by its weaker threads. Honest and respectful work.

Jack Oudyn said...

Another truly wonderful interpretation turned into a gem of a book. I'm very chuffed to be a recipient.

Janine Whitling said...

thank you Helen, i received my lovely book this week. I loved your interpretation of the word, and i thought it was particularly apt for me to receive it since my mum has been spending time interpreting over at Christmas Island for all the asylum seekers. Its wonderful to see such a caring and understanding opinion rather than the negative ones we all too often hear. Joy to you! xo Janine

Abigail Thomas said...

I was so excited when I saw the parcel was from Aus, I knew it would be a wonderful book inside from one of you! Beautiful book Helen; thank you! Now I had better get myself in gear and finish at least 1 of my 2 editions.....