Saturday, December 22, 2012

Lights, Camera, Action!



 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've borrowed a lighting kit and a light tent from TAFE (I may have mentioned this before), and this afternoon I spent a merry hour or two figuring out how to set it up without either experience or instructions.  The first task was to iron the pop-up light tent, which is approx. 120 x 100 x 100cm and therefore not easily fitted onto the average ironing board.  No matter.  Dearest husband took photos of me half in and half out of said tent while ironing, but since the image of me being swallowed by the tent isn't flattering, I'm not going to show you, so there.
 
Ironing over, I rearranged all the furniture in my studio to fit the darned thing in, worked out how to insert a box under the inner lining layers so that the books come up to a height that means I'm not going to kill my back while taking photos, positioned it all ready and... realised that I'd left a vital cable in one of the boxes the big lights came in, which I'd used to prop up the piece of board that raises the books to the optimum height... so I had to take it all apart, remove the cable and start again.  Oh well.  I'm now an expert in putting the whole kit together, natty umbrellas and diffusion sheets and everything.
 
I've only photographed two books so far (another twenty or so to go!), alternating between my portrait and macro lenses in order to get 'complete' shots and details.  It's fun!  And in the process I'm taking notes about book dimensions, construction, edition number, maker etc.  The idea is that we'll have a complete catalogue of this edition - hopefully - before the books are sent to Sarah Bodman.  That way, BAO will have an archive of its own work, I'll send the photos to the individual makers for their own use, and if we need pictures and information for exhibition catalogues, press or articles, for example, we'll have them.
 


9 comments:

dinahmow said...

Gosh! i thought a spray-painted-white cardboard box was an achievement...
Thanks for doing the legwork on this. Not to mention unflattering pictures of the ironing.Michael-you owe your wife a glass of something lovely!

ronnie said...

corrrr - I was giving myself a pat on the back for getting my small boyo to put up the dinky chrissy tree while I beavered away at one of my BAO projects....

scheeeez woman! santa better bring you something pretty wonderful!

swinkie said...

go girl. you are brilliant to do it.

Bertie said...

such an admirable enterprise! thank you so much for doing all this for BAO and its participants. ♥ & best wishes for the holidays

Abigail Thomas said...

wow; amazing set up!

Barbara Simler said...

Geez, that is a heroic effort! Thanks so much for doing this.

Barbara Simler said...

Geez, that is a heroic effort! Thanks so much for doing this.

Genevieve said...

Thank you for doing all of this work!

Helen M said...

That's a huge job to take on Sara, thank you so much for doing this.