Friday, December 7, 2012

“counting” completed!


#64 title “counting” from Sarah Bodman's An Exercise for Kurt Johannessen appealed to me right away and I could not but select it as my first choice. Here is my completed edition and some details associated with it.

The image comes from a photograph of my mother, the structure follows the traditional format of traveling icons from my heritage, and the faded number 10 in a repeat pattern on the right panel carries the significance of beginning and completion, reflecting my mother’s birthday and also the day of the month she completed her life cycle.
For the covers I used pages from an old book that subsequently I turned into trace monotypes (markings achieved through pressure from the back of paper positioned on rolled inks).


My  “association” to counting explained in the verses I wrote appears on the left panel:
Counting the steps from here to there, Counting the folds and then invert them, Counting the hours until that deadline, Counting the minutes for sun exposure, Counting the years since I last saw you.
Counting, counting and recounting, just to make sure not to lose count…

Bamboo paper, old book pages, mat board, PVA.
Archival pigment print, ink trace monotype; structure inspired by the Byzantine traveling icons’ strong presence in my heritage.

7 comments:

ronnie said...

wow anna - this look just divine... how did you make in your edition? I'm sure some of us (not lucky enough to be in your group) would love to get our little mitts on this!)

Helen M said...

A fantastic interpretation of the title 'counting'.

dinahmow said...

It looks very "you" Anna.What are the dimensions?

Anna Mavromatis said...

Ronnie: I am thrilled you like it.
I made an edition of 12 plus my prototype.

Helen: thank you!

Dinah: it's a small structure; closed it measures 5 x 5"
(12.5 x 12.5 cm)

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Absolutely beautiful, and so touching, Anna. What a fabulous piece!

Kathryn said...

Wow, this is beautiful.

Janine Whitling said...

this look amazing Anna, i'm always taken with your works.