My little book has arrived safely at each destination so now my post on the process!
I chose the title 'Protein' because I love science-y things. I started brainstorming, thought; 'protein, diet, nutrition, milk, building blocks, body builders, bodies, genes, genetic code. . .code. . .hey-I could do something fun with codes.' I went to the library and checked out every last book concerning 'Protein' (juvenile books of course-simplified language-pretty pictures). I eventually read my way into amino acids and voilà, my code!
Here is my intro to the book:
"Just like words are made up of letters, linking subunits of amino acids creates proteins. Of the roughly 500 known amino acids, twenty are used to build proteins in the human body. You've been given a card with these essential amino acids listed as an alphabetic code. Use the code to decipher the protein message you've been sent!"
The book and amino acid code card were really small (2.75" x 3.5" - ish) so I decided to include a little magnifying lens. I'll admit that this was inspired by romanticized images I have in my head of Sherlock Holmes.
The code shows an amino acid name and structure with a designated letter underneath. The message for the reader to decipher is
"Protein comes from the Greek work proteios,
meaning. . ."
Following is an accordion like structure. Each page presents an amino acid with a place to write in the corresponding letter from the code.
The answer is 'first place.'
The book closes with the colophon: "Sarah Bodman wrote 100 short stories and buried them in the woods. A group of book artists resurrected these story titles, breathing new life into them. I chose the title 'Protein' because proteins are essential to life. I made the paper out of old T-shirts. I thought that they might like a new life, too."
I'm glad to have found the Book Art Object group. This project was quite the learning experience for me. If I had it to do over again (and, you know, I probably will keep working with this idea) I would make it a bit larger, would use letterpress and would make a better pocket for the code card (on my mock-up I used tape to seal the pocket and on the edition the gluing process made the pocket too small so I had to keep it open on two ends - not my initial vision!).
All in all, the result was a fun and interactive plaything that I hope proved entertaining to my group members. Now it's time to start work on the second book I signed up for. :)
I've enjoyed reading the posts from all of the other artists on this site and your books are truly fantastic. What a fun thing to be part of!
Happy Holidays to all.