Saturday, December 22, 2012

#43 Grains


A Grain of Brown Rice

by Janine Whitling 

 

Well, I know I've been super quiet in BookArt Object, but I have been quietly getting on with it in my studio. I'm relatively new to the book art medium so it has been challenging for me to find my voice within this context. I really like the medium of resin and have made a book art using resin before, so thought i'd extend that style within this group.

My word was GRAIN, so I came up with a grain of brown rice made out of resin. Its a capsule that is hinged on one side to open up and reveal three scrolls, each scroll with a recipe that is based on brown rice as the main ingredient. 




I have embedded the collophon into the inside base of the resin, you'd only see it if you took out the scrolls.

They took quite a bit of work getting the colors right then tweaking the shapes and polishing the resin, but I'm really pleased with the final result.

Two copies have gone out to the two Sarah's and I have the others finished and ready to send, but I was waiting for the crazy Christmas rush before sending them as I don't want them to get lost. So watch out group 11 for your copy after the silly season has finished :)

with love, Janine

ps yes, you can follow the recipes for some yummy treats too! but best to do it with gloves as the paper is delicate

11 comments:

Sara Bowen said...

Thanks Janine, as someone who's always wondered how to work with resin I was fascinated to receive this in the post: it's brilliant! I haven't read the recipes yet, but I will... Thank you very much!

Abigail Thomas said...

wow! that is so exciting! I really hope you have time to post more about the process of this amazing resin capsule when all of group 11 have received them. oh hang on, thats me! yay! so exciting! cannot wait! a post-christmas present! I'm afraid I've been pretty lax in terms of my own edition, sorry; maybe by Feb...

ronnie said...

can't wait to really check this out - what a fascinating idea! I'm waiting until after chrissy to sent things also janine....

dinahmow said...

My brain (a little soggy and overloaded!) is thinking "rice pudding in an amber Pyrex dish..."
It certainly looks interesting, Janine.
Like Abbi, I'm intrigued to learn more of the process.

Helen M said...

This looks really interesting Janine, and I'm one of the lucky ones in Group 11! My edition is also finished and will be posted out after the holiday break.

Nelson Souzza said...

Olá meu querido amigo, e eu estava lendo o seu site, eu só quero dizer que eu realmente amo isso! A aparência geral do seu site é fantástico, assim como o conteúdo! Parabéns por seu trabalho incrível! Eu sigo seu blog (198) ... Espero que você siga-me de volta .... Desejo-lhe felicidade e alegria ... e bênçãos para o Ano Novo. Desejo-lhe o melhor de tudo ... Que você tão bem merece.
Saudações do Rio de Janeiro / Brasil
Nelson

Janine Whitling said...

thanks everyone, I might make another one and show you the process when i have some spare time. happy to share ♥

Jane said...

this looks amazing

Janine Whitling said...

Hey group elevensies! your packages are in the mail! xo Janine

Abigail Thomas said...

oooooo exciting! Cannot wait!

Fiona Dempster said...

Amazing - what an effort and such a stunning resolution.