Tuesday, October 16, 2012

LCBA - London Centre for Book Arts

Hello all, its Abigail here from the UK. Since graduating from my MA in Book Arts at Camberwell College in London, things have been hectic! But most excitingly, in the past week I have been helping Simon Goode set up the brand new and very very exciting London Centre for Book Arts. Lots of dirty, hard work has gone into this amazing and long overdue venture. Simon has had lots of help from excited and interested volunteers with varied backgrounds, and on Sunday the doors opened for the first Open Day.
The studio is not completely finished, but in just under 3 weeks the space has been transformed, and the machinery and equipment is slowly being de-rusted and put back together after long months in storage.



The Centre’s mission is to keep book-making skills alive, through teaching and community outreach in bookbinding, letterpress printing, papermaking, and related disciplines. And LCBA is the UK's first and only open-access educational book arts centre. How amazing is that?! I know alot of you bookie people are from Australia and the US; and from what I hear are quite spoilt for these kind of centres.. or am I wrong? Here in the UK there is simply nothing like this, which is what makes this studio so exciting for everyone, the potential is huge. 





I will keep you posted on the developments of this place. And soon I will do a post on some work I've been thinking about making for the BAO project. My titles are #16 Turn Left in Group 6 & #54 Motorway Services in Group 11. Now there is potential space & equipment to be used at the LCBA I can hopefully get cracking on these two editions soon! 

4 comments:

Helen M said...

Congratulations on graduating with your MA Abigail. The Book Arts Centre looks fantastic and it must be exciting getting it set up.

Abigail Thomas said...

Its very exciting! Thank you. You can see my final ma show work on my website if you are interested: www.abigailthomas.co.uk

Barbara Simler said...

The Book Arts Centre looks fab, Abigail! Congratulations, and hopefully someday we can all visit.

Aine Scannell said...

Abigail

THIS IS BRILLIANT -I MEAN THAT SIMON HAS TAKEN THE INITIATIVE TO SET THIS UP AND THAT YOU ARE INVOLVED FROM THE BEGINNING. IF I WAS STILL LIVING IN LONDON I WOULD FOR SURE - WANT TO GET INVOLVED MYSELF !!!

OH AND WELL DONE ON YOUR M A IN BOOKARTS...........