Sunday, July 15, 2012

On behalf of Gene Epstein...



Gene Epstein from Group 7 gave me permission to include part of an email she wrote me, which includes some background on the edition she produced for her title, Delicate. (She mentioned that she isn't very comfortable with going such things on the computer.) I have also included a few photos I took of the copy I received from her.

I have been experimenting with folded book sculptures for several years. Last year I rescued a carload of 80 year old Chinese books that were destined for recycling, and have been exploring ways to use them as sculpture. I chose that one to duplicate because it seemed easiest to mail, plus it was a favorite of one of my artist friend.

So, thank you very much to Gene. You did a lovely job of expressing the concept of 'delicate'...


The 'cover'

The folded pages

Side view showing the pages delicately fluttering

7 comments:

ronnie said...

ooooo my heart's a flutter!

Helen M said...

It looks gorgeous. You can't help but love folds in paper...

Sara Bowen said...

This is the point where I regret not being part of Group 7! The book looks amazing and I am really intrigued by the idea of abandoned Chinese books...

dinahmow said...

What a pretty thing!

And one of the good things about BAO is that willingness to help others.Brava!

Anna Mavromatis said...

per·fect
1. conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type: a perfect sphere; a perfect gentleman, A PERFECT ARTISTS' BOOK!

Victoria said...

Being part of Group 7, I am the delighted guardian of one of these books. I have shown it to students on several occasions, eliciting many gasps of pleasure. Thanks, Gene, and Lisa for posting the blog entry.

Fiona Dempster said...

What a stunner - and a great story! Thanks for sharing all.