Monday, July 16, 2012

Now that I know everyone in Group 7 has received my book, I am posting the explanation sheet I included in each package, and some images of the work. I had such a good time that, glutton for punishment that I am, I am musing on having books as well as prints in my next show. 

(Enclosure)
As a printmaker, I’ve never been drawn to exact multiples, preferring to explore the variations on a theme that print methods allow. Each book in this varied edition is unique because of the hand-made nature of all the elements. Well . . .except that the text of poem and colophon is printed on my home printer.

The paper is an aged Yamato Chiri—the small inclusions are different in each sheet. I wanted a paper that conveyed a sense of history in its look and feel, that would fold easily and print with sensitivity. Whatever is printed on the paper shows through to the other side, a trait that suits my theme. History, both personal and cultural, shows through us all. And personal experience contributes to history.

The backs of the books are printed one at a time on an etching press, with various grid-patterned materials. All the images and the title panel are soft lino, relief-printed by hand. The ink is Akua; it is soy-based and water-washable, as close to non-toxic as one can find.

Though each book has the same layout, no two have the same palette; that includes the text which compliments the colours of the imagery.

This has been a labour of love, and I still feel excited every time I unfold a book and stand it up. 













9 comments:

ersi marina said...

How very beautiful! I love the subtle variations and the textured feel of the book. Wish I could touch it. It does look like an object permeated with history.

ronnie said...

how delightful! I DO hope the whole collection of edition 4 books gets to travel around so we can all get to touch and play with the books...... its the one downside to this (BIG and split) edition...... le sigh....

dinahmow said...

As the books come through, blogged about by their authors and sighed over by their recipients, I find myself echoing Ronnie...

Jack Oudyn said...

Great to get wonderful glimpses of the new books as they come out. Yes a live show would be just special.

pennypeckham said...

Oh yes! Fabulous! Really like the looseness of the edition - love the idea of the variations - and the results. And I, too, would love to see the whole edition 4 collection at some stage.

Victoria said...

Thanks for your responses. I echo the hope for a travelling exhibition some time, maybe as part of an international book conference? Anyone know anyone?

Sara Bowen said...

Dear lovely people, most of Edition Four will be exhibited in the UK next March at UWE, care of the author, Sarah Bodman. I hope we may be able to organise some other European stops for the books when they're over that side of the world too. Any ideas, please let me know! Sara x

Angela said...

Beautiful Victoria. I want to touch it :-) I love the colours and texture.

Fiona Dempster said...

What a lovely looking book - it says pick me up and hold me doesn't it? I really want to touch this one - and work my way thru it; but firstly its the need to touch.