Wednesday, June 27, 2012

WHEN MAILING YOUR BOOKS...

...please be aware that in some places, unregistered mail is sometimes lost. Or worse!*

I hope this  post is not a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted, but perhaps we should consider recorded delivery  when sending out our books.

I am well aware of the need to keep costs within means, but perhaps it's something which needs to be addressed. Perhaps should have been addressed! Certainly, an important consideration for any future projects.

So, if you have not yet completed and mailed your books, please see if you can record their sending/delivery from your end.  And do email the recipients once the books are sent.

And, as a courtesy, let senders know as soon as books arrive.

On that note...I'd better get cracking, hadn't I? I think I'm looking at November for my completion(s).
Diane (dinahmow)

* I've been on the losing end too often so now send all important mail (hey! all mail should be considered important!) as recorded delivery, which means it must be signed for by the addressee.

1 comment:

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Good point. I think I'd also add to make sure they are sent with enough packing material and padding. I've had a few books and journals that were mailed to me destroyed (or freed from their envelopes entirely) en route, especially internationally. These were almost always simply placed in a padded (or regular) envelope with no extra protection. When I'm sending something, I try to keep in mind the number of high speed sorting machines and overworked postal and airport employees it will meet along the way, and pack it accordingly.

Ellen G., groups 6 and 10 (who is in the thick of designing the book for #6 and will begin assembly soon, then on to #10)