Monday, June 25, 2012

So . . . it looks like 'preview' in Blogger really means freeze the computer. This is my second try. No preview, just publish (hopefully not to perish).

Both the project and the sense of community have been a great experience.


I have had a wonderful time doing "My Ancestors" as part of Edition IV, Group 7. It's a varied edition folded structure with press and hand-printed elements as well as a poem entitled "Mother Tongue." The image above is from the early stages of testing plates and types of paper. The design, paper research, folding, carving, colour choices, printing, etc.  were all deeply satisfying.

Special thanks to Gene Epstein of Group 7, whose beautiful work, "Delicate," arrived and reminded me that it's time to send these books on their way. 


I teach printmaking at the Haliburton School of the Arts every summer, and sometimes offer a presentation as well. This year the talk is "Creativity and Aging: The Time of Your Life." The book project is the core of the talk which looks at how both individuals and creative effort have stages of development. I'll be showing all the maquettes and proofs as well as a couple of final pieces and Gene's book. Whatever other books arrive before the 30th of June will also be presented. I shall do the talk again in October for lovers of Japanese paper, at The Japanese Paper Place in Toronto. Hint . . . hint . . .

3 comments:

Sending Pages Out to Dry said...

Can't wait to receive my copy! You're on point re: Gene. That's when I went out and bought the padded envelopes! Alicia

Arzigogolare said...

Congratulations on finishing, Victoria! It looks as though the Group 7 collection is slowly beginning to take shape. This peak at the results from your experimentation stage have piqued my curiosity - I am looking forward to holding your piece in my hands very soon...
- Lisa

Sending Pages Out to Dry said...

I love it!!! Got my copy last week and love the feel of the paper and the folds, i.e., how it opens gradually or quickly. Lovely work!
Alicia