Saturday, May 5, 2012

Scott McCarney and Keith Smith at SLQ

I was delighted to find that Scott McCarney and Keith Smith are giving a free lecture at the State Library of Queensland (Brisbane) on May 27th.  I suspect neither of them need much of an introduction to book artists in BookArtObject, and that many of us have at least one of Keith Smith's bookbinding books on our shelves!

  













Knowledge in Depth: West to East 
one-of-a-kind altered book by Scott McCarney, 2008

If you're in the Brisbane area and would like to go to the lecture click here to go to the SLQ website's event page to find out more information or go directly to the event booking page here.  As you know, Scott is participating in this round of BookArtObject so I'm excited to hear him speak.

For those of you who took part in BookArtObject Edition Three (Jeanette Winterson's Art & Lies), you may like to know that I am taking the opportunity to meet up with Helen Cole, librarian at SLQ, to discuss the possible purchase of that edition by the State Library of Queensland - more news as and when I have spoken to her.

At this point in time I have no idea how I'm going to get up there, or where I'm going to stay, but it all seems too good an opportunity to miss!  If I had the money - and if I wasn't teaching - I'd also try and attend Keith and Scott's 5-day book making workshop, but sadly only a lottery win is going to make that dream come true so I'm not holding out any hopes. But more realistically it might be a chance to meet up with other BAO people so if you're going, let me know!  Ironically I've been promising Amanda I'd be up in Brisbane at some point, but when I'm sitting in the lecture she will be enjoying the beauty of Paris, which is a very good excuse for not being there...

6 comments:

Velma said...

the lecture will be well worth attending! scott and keith are amazing.

Jack Oudyn said...

thank you for posting Sara,The events were at the periphery of my thoughts and you prompted me to action. Although I can't make the workshop I will be at the lecture.

Jane said...

Wish I could go, that alteted book looks amazing

Helen M said...

I'll be at the lecture too Sara, and it would be great to meet you, I'll email you.

rObfOs said...

Hi Sara, unfortunately I won't be able to go to either lecture or workshop as I'll be interstate. Otherwise I would have offered you accommodation and a lift! I hope you enjoy the lecture and get a chance to meet Jack & Helen (both lovely & interesting people).

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Sounds great! I hope as many of you as possible can go (I speak from California). Keith's description in one of his books of the heat of Brisbane, even in May, has stayed in my mind for a long time...I hope it's a bit balmier this time around.

I also wanted to mention that Scott was interviewed on Bookbinding Now in February, if any of you are interested and missed it.