Friday, May 4, 2012

A new cover

prototype cover


















I've been in the process of making my book "Transparent" and had a copy ready to show our fellow BAO members at our meeting recently ( http://bookartobject.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/taking-bao-offline-in-brisbane.html I'm posting this to let everyone know how important it was to me to make a prototype and get peer advice before committing myself completely to finishing the process of making the whole edition. Afterwards, I realised there were changes I just had to make, as the cover was just too weak and prone to damage.

I had dipped the card in a molten mixture of beeswax and parrafin at 220F so that the wax becomes an integral part of the card. I was then able to scratch the surface and rub in oil based pigment which I wiped back to leave the etching like marks. I realise these will all be a little different in each cover but hope they will still be considered an edition. If you are interested where the scratches and marks came from check out my blog http://jackoudyn.blogspot.com.au/


cover into wax

before and after scratching

a cover in progress































































After cutting the image into the card I thought it might weaken it but made the first book anyway. When I saw others in the group handle the book for the first time, I realised the weakness was real and now I will change it.I am so glad I had the opportunity to test my prototype and make adjustments.So back to the drawing board in that area.

10 comments:

ersi marina said...

How very interesting to see your process in detail. Trial copies of anything always cause me anxiety and fear of doom! Yeah, I know, I'm a coward. But I wish I had the opportunity of seeing your prototype, I like the results very much.

Helen M said...

Your prototype was wonderful Jack, and these little improvements that you're able to make to the strength of the cover will be worthwhile.

ronnie said...

lucky little triallers..... I look forward to seeing how things eventually turn out (very intriguing so far!)

The Elephant's Child said...

How fascinating. Like ronnie I am really looking forward to the final outcome.

rObfOs said...

Like Helen, I thought the prototype was wonderful. I do think the improvements will add to the structural soundness of the book and make it even more wonderful. Glad I got to see a little sneak preview!

rObfOs said...

Like Helen, I thought the prototype was wonderful. I do think the improvements will add to the structural soundness of the book and make it even more wonderful. Glad I got to see a little sneak preview!

dinahmow said...

Yes, the other BAO members were, indeed, lucky to be a part of this.
Thank you for posting your trials/reconstitutions. Those of us who are not able to "bounce" things off others in the group do appreciate this honest feedback.

Abigail Thomas said...

great to test things out for sure; hope you are able to work through it; look forward to the results.

paperworker said...

This looks so intriguing, would love to see this one in person!

Shelley Whiting said...

I love your book cover. It is a very bold and intriguing artwork. I love the texture