I've been in the process of making my book "Transparent" and had a copy ready to show our fellow BAO members at our meeting recently ( http://bookartobject.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/taking-bao-offline-in-brisbane.html I'm posting this to let everyone know how important it was to me to make a prototype and get peer advice before committing myself completely to finishing the process of making the whole edition. Afterwards, I realised there were changes I just had to make, as the cover was just too weak and prone to damage.
I had dipped the card in a molten mixture of beeswax and parrafin at 220F so that the wax becomes an integral part of the card. I was then able to scratch the surface and rub in oil based pigment which I wiped back to leave the etching like marks. I realise these will all be a little different in each cover but hope they will still be considered an edition. If you are interested where the scratches and marks came from check out my blog http://jackoudyn.blogspot.com.au/
|cover into wax|
|before and after scratching|
|a cover in progress|
After cutting the image into the card I thought it might weaken it but made the first book anyway. When I saw others in the group handle the book for the first time, I realised the weakness was real and now I will change it.I am so glad I had the opportunity to test my prototype and make adjustments.So back to the drawing board in that area.