Monday, April 30, 2012

#88 -- THE CLEARING


Copies of "The Clearing" have already been mailed to my fellow Group Two-ers, and now that I know at least one of them has made it to Australia (thank you for reporting in, Terence), I wanted to finish up with a little posting for the entire group.  This has been a VERY interesting experience!

As I pondered the title and what this book should be, I kept thinking about trying a tunnel structure for the first time (always a good idea when you are also tackling an edition for the first time…NOT!).  I thought about how it might be nicely mysterious to peer through a dark forest into a clearing, to spy on some mysterious goings-on. What would be happening? Didn’t know then, still don’t. And I had to get it done by April (not because I'm diligent, but because I am lucky enough to be travelling most of the summer).

So for the last three months I experimented with the tunnel structure, modifying it slightly (to make it conducive to repetition, avoid the bowing that some tunnel techniques seem to involve,  and make it somewhat stable).  I bought a lot of blades for my X-acto knife, collaged up a storm, and worried about my rudimentary bookbinding skills.  It felt rrrreally satisfying to glue that final stamp on the last book package!

So, here it is.

In its final form, “The Clearing” is a six-panel collaged and paper-cut tunnel book created in an edition of ten.  Covers are black cloth-covered boards; the cover title block is created from a photo I took outside my house last year.  The endpapers are copies of the first page of a letter written in 1934 by one of my husband’s Swedish ancestors to his grandmother in North Dakota.  Paper cord and a decorative metal button form the book closure. 



The tunnel panels reveal a forest clearing in which two robed figures are huddled. They are guarded by owls and wolves.  A glassine pocket on the inside cover houses several items: a ribboned tag which serves as the colophon, a small vintage photograph (a different photo in each book), and a folded map  – clues, perhaps, as to where and what the clearing might be.

Cheers all, Lynn

14 comments:

Amelia said...

how lucky the recipients are - this is amazing! Where did you get the inside images from? I'm inspired to make one (if I could!) :)

Amelia.x

ronnie said...

how totally delicious! what lucky folk those group 2 peeps are!

paperworker said...

Thank you, ladies. Images came from all over, Amelia: the robed figures from two different 15th century religious paintings, their faces from early 1900's antique postcards of geisha girls, the owls from an old audubon-style bird book, the front trees from an illustration by Wanda Gag for the Hansel and Gretl story, etc. (In truth, I am your typical collage kleptomaniac!) The cut panels were just hand-drawn silhouettes I made and cut from cardstock.

Helen M said...

It looks wonderful Lynn and mysterious - wish I had one to explore!

Amanda said...

My goodness! How wonderful! I really hope that I'll see one close-up to explore some done. Congratulations Lynn, and enjoy your travels.

Sara Bowen said...

How lovely! Your book looks great, Lynn, and I'm looking forward to having a sneak peak when Sarah Bodman's copy reaches me in due course so that I can send it on with the rest. So cool that you've finished already. Sara

dinahmow said...

This reminds me of a fairy tale book I had as a little girl. It was not a "tunnel" but had similar images.Dark, mysterious and crying out to be explored!
Congrats, Lynn.

Jack Oudyn said...

Wow what a fantastic looking book!Takes me back to childhood memories.Absolutely wonderful.

Kophieps said...

Wonderfully done! Very inspiring.

I really like the prospect that more books will be shown here.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Oh wow! I've been a bit obsessed with tunnel books lately, and this one looks fantastic! What lucky people in your group.

BEMBindery said...

As one of the lucky Group 2recipients, 'The Clearing' is all that it seems in the photographs and a lot more! Thanks again Lynn.

Fiona Dempster said...

I love it Lynn - lots of wonderful elements to play with and explore - thank you!

jac said...

It came this morning. Beautiful. Thank you.

jac said...

It came this morning. Beautiful. Thank you.