Monday, March 5, 2012

Fiona's beginnings (Group 2)

Like most folk I have been pondering and exploring a bit and making small baby steps towards something.

My theme is "A subversive stitch" and I have pondered the ideas of censorship, wars, history, women in history and women's work.  It has been bit of a ramble up hill and down dale, then round a few corners and then into a few dead-ends, but something is coming together...

On the weekend I finished the covers for my books - I am trying to make 20, which allows for a few stuff-ups along the way. I have chosen to work with red, something subversive about it perhaps? - and have been using the sewing machine to obliterate words - leaving  a few here and there.

Here are some hinting shots of how they are looking...





I have had a few moments with these - one afternoon, the sewing machine starting to billow smoke which was quite interesting (sewing paper can upset them I am learning), and just as I faced my last cover on Sunday I realised I was probably going to run out of cotton (I had already used a full reel and several bobbin-fills), but in the end I was left with maybe three turns of cotton on the reel...just snuck in!

9 comments:

Julie Russell-Steuart said...

Really interesting, Fiona! The red is quite striking. The Scarlet Letter comes to mind. Have the covers evolved first, before the content, in your process? I am imagining that the cover might lead to the content.
I am having issues with how mine is developing, and the cover first, content first is very much an open debate with me.

Abigail Thomas said...

Ah yes, paper sewing, love it.

Abigail Thomas said...

Ah yes, paper sewing, love it.

dinahmow said...

Machine stitching may figure in one of my pieces - if the FixIt Man can fix it. sigh...

ersi marina said...

It looks just perfect. Yes, red is so provocative, in every sense. I'd love to see all the pages -and feel them with my fingers too.

paperworker said...

Fiona, looks very intriguing! A most worthy start for Group 2! Lynn

Angela said...

Wow. It looks like more than just beginnings but more well underway. Great photos. I used to torture my sewing machine but I've never made it smoke :-)

Fiona Dempster said...

Hi Julie - they have sort of evolved together; the page content is fine in my head; still working with the presentation. I find each book arrives along its own path - sometimes one part dictates the other; sometimes the other way round...

Thanks Abigail! It odes have its moments, but is so nice.

Good luck with the Fixit Dinah!

Thank you Ersi - I love fluttering the threads thru my fingers...

Thanks Lynn - fingers crossed the start progresses to a finish!

Oh Angela - it was so funny; I could hardly believe my eyes! Thanks for your support.

papergail said...

Looks like a great start Fiona! I too like sewing on paper and am about to put together the IAPMA (www.iapma.info) Bulletin with the theme 'sewn up', so I'm seeing lots of sewing on all sorts of paper.