Saturday, March 17, 2012

Dos-a-Dos Binding [always turning left]

Hi All,

I was wondering if I could plunder your bookbinding knowledge in relation to the Dos-a-Dos binding method.


I have so far only made a soft cover mock up (potentially for this project, but also for something else...) and I have never made a hardback (cloth or paper covered) dos-a-dos book. I can imagine how the process goes and will of course just give it a go with a blank book first, but I wonder if any of you can help me with the main thing that I am wondering about; the back board (that is the back for both sides of the book) will need to be covered on both sides, at least on the edges, but how do you do this?
Any suggestions, tips from experience, bookbinding books I should look at, online tutorials etc.. that you know of please do tell!

Many thanks,

Abigail Thomas
Group Six
# Turn Left

5 comments:

rObfOs said...

Hi Abigail, I am a novice as well, but have bought a couple of books on the subject which have great detailed, illustrated instruction guides, they are:
The Book Binding Handbook by Sue Doggett (Search Press Ltd www.searchpress.com)
and
Making Handmade Books (100+ Bindings, Structures + Forms)
by Alisa Golden (Lark Crafts www.larkcrafts.com)
Bought both books from Folio Bookstore in Brisbane City.

Ampersand Duck said...

Heh, I am sitting here with my laptop and a dos-a-dos binding beside me that I just bought (McSweeney's 24) at a book sale.

Looking at it with your question in mind, the central panel is basically 'quarter-bound'; that is to say that each front piece of bookcloth carries over the spine and then stops about an inch into the centre board, obviously on opposite sides of the board.

There's a strip of bookcloth at each end that would be about an inch wide, glued along the head and tail of the board to trim it, and then the end papers from each bookblock covers each side as it normally would.

So looking at the centre panel as one turns the pages of a bookblock to the end, there is the last page, then the loose side of the endpaper, then the glued side of the endpaper, with the spine on the righthand side, and if I run my thumb over the glued-down sheet I can feel a one-inch ridge where the bookcloth turns over on the right, and another half-inch ridge at top and bottom (head/tail). Then I can flip the book over and start the other side with the front cover.

I hope that makes sense! I can draw a diagram for you, but hopefully the books listed above can provide better pics than I can :)

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

This book by Heather Weston might have what you're looking for? It even has a picture of a hardback dos-a-dos on the cover.

Abigail Thomas said...

You guys are brilliant. I will check out the books, maybe a library near me has copies... but Caren, thanks so much, I knew you would come up with detailed explanation! I had a feeling it was just the edges done.

I will keep you all posted on the attempts I make!

AID Gallery said...

Depending on how much paper I've got to work with, I either cover the entire hardback or just the edges. Covering the whole board is certainly a waste of paper, but I find it gives me a neater look. That's probably because I'm not my best with corner folds. A strip of bookcloth sounds like a great idea. Ditto duct tape!
Alicia