Monday, February 20, 2012

Rachel Marsden (Group 1) - Introduction

Ni hao! Hello from China and apologies for my delayed introduction. I'm Rachel, I'm 28 and I live in Shanghai, originally from Stafford, UK. (I feel like I'm introducing myself on a TV game show.) I wear many creative hats (as such)...I'm currently in my third year of PhD study into the translation through interpretation of contemporary Chinese art in the West since 1980, specifically the idea of a "transcultural" curator...I'm a freelance curator and arts writer...I lecture in Visual Arts at an art and design academy here in Shanghai...finally, and most importantly, I'm a book artist, bookbinder and paper-maker where, through the use of text, photographic documentation and audience response, I investigate notions of archiving and repetitious actions, such as typing and printing, lexicality and translation, memory, obsession and experience, by exploring the role of the artist as a curator, and participants as collaborators.

I'm very lucky to be able to pass my bookbinding skills onto others, internationally, through my work out here and, at the same time, be inspired by Eastern methods of the same art. I'm excited to be part of BAO, part of Group One with my chosen title 'Number 43'. So far, thematics and concepts are coming together as to how my book might develop. All I know is that it will be very different to anything I've made before due to the cultural contexts I am now working within, and that it will be constructed from handmade paper and typewriter text, no doubt referencing my day-to-day experiences in China in an archival way. One last thing...I blog about my adventures in China if any of you want to find out more about what I do. Very much looking forward to seeing projects unfold whilst exchanging with my fellow BAO group members and the project as a whole!


3 comments:

rObfOs said...

Hi Rachel, your work/life sound sooooo interesting. First thought that came to mind was WOW imagining all the different papers and techniques you must be accessing and learning about in China. I'm looking forward to following that link to your blog to find out more about what you do, when I have a quiet moment or two. I'm also looking forward to seeing your project for BAO evolve.

Aine Scannell said...

Hi there Rachael
Your artists books look so neatly made - I am very impressed, I too shall come visit your blog.

Abigail Thomas said...

Welcome aboard Rachel; looking forward to seeing what you make.... The world "Archiva" always makes my ears prick up!