Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Michelle's progress - Group 5 "Three Ships"

After receiving the title, Three Ships, my mind instantly drifted to Ernest Shackleton's quasi-infamous lifeboats, the Stancomb Wills, Dudley Docker and James Caird. I like the idea of these small boats as protectors, as nomadic homes, as vessels in a literal and figurative sense. As a former academic librarian, I'm interested in archives and memory and am assembling a small faux archive on this theme, which will be contained in a clamshell box (I like to think of it as a small travel shrine or mariner's protective talisman). The shrines will house a multi-layered diorama, errata card, etc. I'll be printing these little shrines with photopolymer plates on one of the Vandercooks in my graduate program's studio...I'm sending out for the negatives today!

3 comments:

rObfOs said...

Oh, to be in group 5! Your ideas sound so interesting and haunting.
Can't wait to see more of your project.

Helen M said...

This sounds really interesting Michelle, and you are well advanced with the project.

Sara Bowen said...

I will be very interested to see the outcome - I knew of the boats but not their names.