To those who don't know me I suppose I better introduce myself before I start rambling ;-) I am Angela Callanan (Blog) and I have been part of Book Art Object since the beginning when I first found this post on Sara Bowen's Blog. I am in Group 3 and have chosen - There Was an Old Lady
Last weekend I finalised the text for my book and made my first mock-up. I have a good idea what the images are going to be but have yet to make them. I am afraid I totally jumped the gun with this one. Not long after Sara first posted the suggestion that we may use Sarah Bodman's book [Sept 2011?] I started on ideas for the book. Again with BAO this book has consolidated ideas that have been 'floating' for months perhaps even years. When I have finalised the text I usually make a small mock up of the signature on rubbish paper as I call it. This gives me an idea of imposition and layout [left of picture]. I try to get the text flowing as I want with a nice balance of images and text. The text for this book (as for the last one) was originally scrawled on a notebook I keep by my bed. It came to me gradually and some of it is a bit illegible because if I think of something in the middle of the night I don't bother turning on the light - I just write it and hope I can make sense of it in the morning [Arzigogolare - aka Lisa McGarry has posted a brilliant poem about this on my Blog]. Well last weekend I took the scrawls written down at various dates and put them together. This paper mock up of the signature says final because I have finalised the text. This scruffy signature is always really important. I number the pages in pencil even though there will be no numbers in the final book and it really helps me with imposition and when printing.
It probably looks like I am well underway but I have a long way to go. I am not going to use the format I made in the mock up. So format wise I am back at square one. The next part of the process may take a long time. I had a complete 'cover crisis' on the last project which lasted about a month when I was totally lost. I have been experimenting a lot with covers. I did the same on the last project and have yet to post pictures and details of my 'crisis' from that project.
For this mock up I did all the text on my trusty Silver-Reed Silverette and am considering perhaps typing the whole edition, but there are problems - specifically bad marks on the paper from the metal bit that holds the paper tight against the roller (not sure what its called). I know you can 'butcher' your typewriter to loosen this and prevent the marks but I am not going to do this to my 'precious'. I was told about a Book Typewriter by someone in the Yahoo Typewriter Group but they are like hen's teeth apparently.
I made the cover by gluing bookcloth to grey card - pressing it and then cutting it to size. I used a corner cutter to get the round edges. I used Lambeth drawing cartridge for the signature. It took the typed text quite well - not all papers do. The stitch I used was one I was going to use on the last project but didn't [picture below]. Anyway, I don't like the the cover - its a bit flimsy and I can't get a good finish. Even with a lot of tweaking and refining I am not sure I will with this format. So its back to the drawing board. The images will be done with rubber stamps again. I just have to decide how I will do the text. So you know what the title is and you know what I'm 'toying' with ;-)