Saturday, January 14, 2012

Making a start - Jac (2)

Not quite sure how 'Rapunzel' is going to develop yet

Part of me is responding quite literally to the fairy story connotations of the title. This is the bit of me that collects children’s books (though I usually prefer Shaun Tan and Dave KcKean to the more traditional approach.)

This part isdeveloping drawings and experimenting with reproducing them – so far using photocopy litho printing. I like this way of introducing text within the image (spot the not so deliberate mistake).






Another bit of me thinks I should be responding more to themes contained within the original fairy story, Ideas such as imprisonment, isolation, unsuccessful protection from loss of innocence. Probably using a more structural, less literal approach using motifs associated with the story.























So far it seems to be developing into tall and thin. I’m giving myself time to play for a while.

10 comments:

Arzigogolare said...

It looks as though you're off to a great start, Jac! I always find that I take a very 'literal' approach when beginning to work with a new concept...it seems to be a 'logical' place to start. I enjoy seeing how the literal often falls by the way as the exploration goes deeper.
I really like the vertical format you seem to be leaning toward at the moment...
Happy creating, Lisa

Vicki said...

Hi Jac, looks like you are off to a great start...well done! I also like the long format...it hints to the fairytale with out being too literal. Are you sure you are in group 5?

Angela said...

Jac I really like the images here. Particularly the 3rd one (right). I too often struggle with what I feel I 'should' be doing, but at least you are doing. I like the long format too.

ronnie said...

gosh I haven't even started to think about what I'll be doing! you're off to a flying start jac!

Soewn Earth said...

perhaps look at the meaning of the word rapunzel. I believe it is a german word meaning a type of lettuce

dinahmow said...

I also like the format; it alludes to the tower where Rapunzel was imprisoned.

(And, yes, rapunzel is the German word for lambs lettuce.)

Amanda said...

Yes, these images are really lovely. You must be an expert at photocopy litho. And yes, it's good to see the traditional error! Glad it's not just ME! Looks like a great start, even if you change direction a few times yet.

Julie Russell-Steuart said...

I like the long format, too. And the wire, even the shape within the wire. What is photocopy lithography?

jac said...

I can't work out how to reply to separate posts so I'll just leave a comment.
- Hi Vicki Whoops sorry I meant group 2 I'll alter the post

- Hi Soewn Earth I've been looking at the meaning of the plant name- some references think it's 'spiked rampion'- and I vauguely remeber a link between rampion and one of the small islands on Lake Windermere (the English lake distict is on our doorstep) Its somthing I need to try and research further

-Hi Julie Photocopy lithography. I think it's sometimes called gumarabic transfer. Basically you can use a photocopies as a lithoplate, sponging on and wiping off a mixture of gum arabic and water in between rolling on oil based ink. If I carry on with this method I'll post a step by step on my Blog later

rObfOs said...

Oooh, I look forward to reading a post on gumarabic transfer, sounds fasicinating & fun, another great thing to do with photocopies.