Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Groups - an update; by Sara Bowen

There are now 52 artists working in 7 groups on Edition Four! Wow - I am quite amazed (and pleased) by the responses we've received for this project. I've heard from a few more people, but as is the way of things, they may not get back to me with their choice of title, for whatever reason, so I expect we'll hover around this number of participants. I emailed Sarah Bodman and it is safe to say that she was stunned... I don't think she can quite believe she'll be getting in excess of 50 books mailed to her in around a year's time!

All participants have the opportunity to post to the blog and will have received an email from Blogger requesting them to follow a link, create a user name and become an author. There are a few outstanding invitations so if you think you should have received an author invite and you've accidentally deleted it because it came into your Junk email, or if you have no idea what to do with the email you received, please let me know and I'll try and help. It's lovely to see people introducing themselves on the blog. I know several of your names from having read about your work, followed your blog or been in exhibitions with you, but I don't "know" you so it's great to get more insight into what you do. Even if you feel too shy to post an introduction please feel free to comment - taking part in the on-line conversation on the blog is a great way to find your bearings as part of the collective.

On the subject of posting, as there are now many more posts it can be difficult to keep track of names and groups! I know a couple of other people have suggested this already, but it would be great if you could identify yourself in your blog posts - either in the title (as I've done with this one) or maybe sign off at the end.

Lastly - deadlines. Several people have asked me to provide one! It is one of the central tenets of the BookArtObject project that no-one should feel under pressure (least of all me!), but if having a deadline helps you produce your work then you might like to bear in mind June 1st 2012 as an arbitrary line in the sand: if you can get your book finished and a copy posted to me by that date then there's a good chance I'll be able to include it in a BookArtObject group entry to the Libris Awards, one of Australia's premier jusried artists' books exhibitions. The date for this show has changed and although entry forms are not yet available it is widely expected to happen in September, which suggests a June deadline for entries.

5 comments:

Fiona Dempster said...

Thanks for all your sorting and organising Sara - it's a mammoth effort to try and keep all cats herded and it is truly appreciated!

Abigail Thomas said...

well done Sara; this is going to be a brilliant, if confusing, few months @ BAO I think!

Helen M said...

You must be very pleased to see your original idea blossom into such a huge and wonderful project. Thanks for all the organisation and work you have done/are doing.

Julie Russell-Steuart said...

Thank you Sara for creating this. I hope you feel very good that you can help others connect, as much as you were searching for your own connections!

Barbara Simler said...

Yes, thanks so much for all your work on this, Sara. It's a wonderful group and project.