Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A fork in the road ......

Hello to everyone and thank you to Sara for allowing me into this fab project.

I'm not very good at talking about myself so I just thought I'd throw out a few lines to let you all know how I'm thinking about my chosen title.

'A fork in the road'

I was pondering........is it a fork in the road or a place where three roads meet?

Oh and a few lines from an ancient song.

'lie down now True Thomas
I'll show you wonders three

See you not that narrow narrow way
beset with thorns and briars?
That is the path of righteousness
Tho after it few inquires.

And see ye not that broad broad way
That lies across the lily leven?
That is the path of wickedness
tho some teach it is the road to heaven.

And see you not the bonny bonny way
that winds about the fern'd hillside?
Oh that is the path to fair Elfland
where you and I this night must ride.

(Ballad of True Thomas)


Jane

3 comments:

Sending Pages Out to Dry said...

Are you thinking of a three-fold structure?

Strikes me as a good name for a roadside cafe.
Alicia
group 7
"Rowing Boats"

Sara Bowen said...

I love the poem - I read it and realised I'd seen it years and years ago, but of course couldn't remember it. Now it strikes me as full of possibility and meaning, and a fantastic starting place for a new book!

Arzigogolare said...

One thing I like about this fourth edition of the project is that a title (even if it's simply a single word) can conjure up so many ideas/thoughts/interpretations. As I was glancing through the list of titles last week, 'A fork in the road' first brought to mind a table fork sitting on a dirt road - think of all the places you could go from there! But the figurative fork in the road is something I think we can all relate to, and have experienced in one form or another. The ballad lyrics set in motion a rich imagery, and could make for a stimulating point of departure.
Enjoy the 'road'...
[Lisa/group 7/Mise en place]