Tuesday, January 10, 2012

another starter

Hello, I'm also new to this blog but want to give it a shot at helping me get some information from such an impressive group of artists. I've just joined a group for Edition 4 and had a bit of a look around at some of the members' blogs or sites and on flikr. The amazing professional printing set up that some of you have makes me wonder if I can do this project justice.
Most of my previous artist books have been one offs which would not satisfy the requirements of the brief. I was hoping to use the humble photocopier or my ink jet printer to enable me to make an edition. I hope this is acceptable.
I am currently putting ideas together, my theme is "Transparent" and have been trying to use tracing paper as a paper for the book but have had mixed results on my ink jet. I'm sure there are transparent parchment or vellum type papers around, I notice someone using polyester sheeting. How do you source this type of paper? If you have some experience and information that might help me choose a nice transparent (or even translucent) paper, I would be very thankful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

try ink jet overhead projector film

Jane said...

You won't be alone Jack, this is going to be a steep learning curve for me too!
I imagine mine will be low tech and very handmade, but I think that can make the books all the more beautiful :)

Jane

Angela said...

Welcome Jack. Glad you have joined. Don't be worried about impressive print set ups. I don't have access to anything like this. My 'studio' is my kitchen table, with other assorted bits in my living room (in a teeny one bedroom flat). I did my first edition on my inkjet printer (admittedly it is a professional printer) and the second one stamped by hand. I have a homemade book press.

I have printed on tracing paper before and it comes out fine. I used Goldline - not sure if you have this where you are:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldline-Professional-Tracing-Sheets-GPT1A4/dp/B000J6CT90

I have also used acetate before which is suitable for inkjet and used this on an old Epson with good results. One side has a special coating which allows you to print on inkjet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/INKJET-CLEAR-PRINTER-ACETATE-SHEETS/dp/B000KJO7BO/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Your blog is gorgeous - I love the fish books :-)

rObfOs said...

Hi Sensai Jack - Your books are beautiful objects and your standards are high. I'm sure you bring a lot more knowledge and expertise to this particular line of work than lil 'ol me.

dinahmow said...

Welcome aboard!
I'm like Angela in that my set-up involves commandeering the dining table(solid pine) and bring the outdoor picnic table inside. And, of course, bits overflow...
I have run greaseproof paper(a kitchen item!) through my old Canon inkjet printer and it was fine.But Canson make what they call a parchment;more rigid(so less likely to crinkle in the machine.
Go over to Amanda's blog and leave a comment;I'm sure she'll help as her first round BAO piece had see-through pages.
Amanda Watson-Will
amandawatson-will.blogspot.com

Jack Oudyn said...

Thank you all , very reassuring to be in such a helpful varied group.

Helen M said...

Hi Jack, I really like the books on your blog.
I've made a book with transparent pages and used my Canon inkjet printer. I used tracing paper bought from Oxlades in Brisbane and had no problem with it though the ink did sit on the surface for a short time before drying, but the end result was good.

Angela said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a kitchen table 'studio' Di. I sometimes get studio envy (if there is such a thing) when I look at other people's blogs :-) I am often somewhat bemused when I see people bemoaning the size or state of their studio and I'm thinking - I'd like to have a studio to moan about ;-)

dinahmow said...

Tee-hee! I posted about my "studio" a while ago if you want to have a laugh. http://moreidlethoughts.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/the-arguments-against-tabloids/