Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Brainy

There's a new journal out, focused on artistic research, called amazingly, Journal for Artistic Research. My friend Ursula Frederick sent me the link. She's an amazing artist, Ursula: a fully trained anthropologist doing a visual arts PhD, treating her subject (cars) in an artistic yet anthropological way. Fling into that her artistic obsession with popular music, especially music and cars, and it all makes my brain hurt.

Speaking of brains hurting, check out one of the articles from this journal, called Taking the Book Apart. It's a very interesting read, except that it takes my brain apart with the way it's laid out. There's a reason why single-column codex layouts have survived so long, peoples. It's because you can actually take information into your brain properly without being overwhelmed.

If you want to look around the journal a bit, the orientation is pretty spiffy. Hover your mouse over the top margin, just below the URL line, and a little menu pops down. Quick, catch it before it goes away again! Dammit, there it goes.

Enough whinging! Maybe I'm just getting old (get off my lawn, you pesky kids!). I thought Ronnie especially might like a bit of the hot glue gun action happening in some of the images...





Hey, when are we going to start talking about the next project? The one with all the story titles?

Um... could someone just pick up Sara and dust her off a bit? I'll go find a stiff drink for her...

4 comments:

ronnie said...

started reading your post but my brain put together pop music, cars and anthropology and came up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw

(someone pass me the hot glue gun, part of my skull fell off)

Sara said...

Thanks! I'll go with the stiff drink AND the glue gun (they would each have been useful this afternoon when two of my Board members starting trying to rip each others' throats out across a table loaded with supposedly festive food). I think I've gone all hysterical... especiallly after navigating through the slightly strange layout of the pigeon pages - love that coat, though!

Sara said...

P.s. that was the first single I ever bought!

Ampersand Duck said...

Ha! It was the first single my brother ever bought!