Saturday, December 31, 2011

blogging with BAO (tips for first timers)


Hello there everyone
This is Ronnie coming to you this last day of 2011 
from sunny Sams Creek


It's wonderful to see so many new contributors in the BAO sidebar - as a contributor you're all now joint authors of the BAO blog - and I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing more about you - but you might be wondering or worrying about exactly WHAT to post (and for those new to blogging/blogger - HOW you post something)  So here's a quick guideline for you

What to put in your first post

Tell us all about yourself!  tell us your name as it appears on the participants list (if you're comfortable doing so) - or let us know what group you're in for edition 4 and what title you're doing (and everyone can work it out cryptically!); tell us where you come from; tell the world a little bit about your art background - this doesn't have to be as onerous as a full bio or resume - just let us all know your passions/ interests and maybe how you came to BAO

If you have a website and/or blog and/or twitter account - here's your chance to tell all so we can link and follow and admire! If you are comfortable with blogger - you might to link these sites (it's too easy - simply highlight the word/s you want to link, click the word 'link' in blogger toolbar - paste or type the web address in the box) happy days!

Pictures are ALWAYS good

If you can, say it in pictures! If you can add an attachment on an email, you can upload a pic to jazz up your post - just remember use jpg and reduce the file size... On the BAO blog, choose 'medium' for your pic size and your photo is guaranteed to fit in the post (and not hang over the edges!)...


(here's a detail pic of my BAO second edition book work
I've chosen 'medium' pic size - if you click the pic, you'll see I uploaded a larger original file...
I usually resize my pics to 20cm wide, 72dpi as this is perfect for my art&etc blog but too big for BAO )



A little bit of consistency 

Generally it's best not to fiddle too much with the typefaces/size/colour in your post (there are of course always exceptions to this 'rule'!) and I'm sure I don't need to say it - but I will anyway..... explicit content or offensive language is not appropriate on the BAO blog...


What not to post

*Administrative questions ("I've lost the address list, can you send me another one", "can I change my title" etc etc are best sent via email to Sara - she is the BAO group originator, and remains its centre, its hub, its fount of wisdom) Talking about questions - it's important to remember not everyone reads every 'comment' on every post - if you ask a question in 'comments' it may be left dangling in comment-limbo-land....

*Off topic posts ("today I went to the shop and bought milk" I suggest may NOT be BAO post-worthy... unless, of course, you are doing a book project that involves shopping for milk....) Remember this is a project-oriented book art blog - tell the world all about your BAO project - progress posts/pic are positively encouraged! Aside from your BAO work you might like to share other book art things: Been to an interesting book art event? Tell us! Got an interesting book art tip to share? Please do! Got a technical question you'd like an opinion on? Ask away!


I've had a wonderful time with BAO (I've been on board since edition one) I love the friendly, supportive and egalitarian atmosphere of the bloggy group - the books made and received have been a bonus! Kudos and big thanks to Sara for making it all happen.


Last words - If you're new to blogging or blogger I'm sure its all a bit daunting right now - Don't Panic! take the first step by clicking on the 'new post' (or the pencil icon) and type away - save things as a 'draft' and keep playing until you're happy with it (using 'preview' allows you to check your post before it's published). Even after things are published you can still make changes by choosing 'edit'. There's nothing you can do that will break the blog - so experiment, play, try things and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it - we were all first timers at one stage....


oh and have a happy new year!


ronnie

(Rhonda Ayliffe - Group three)

blog - art & etc
website - rhondaayliffe
twitter - bookronnie
facebook - rhonda ayliffe


...

5 comments:

Helen M said...

Hi Ronnie thanks for that informative post. Being new to blogging, I'm starting with a comment and working up to my first post. It's great to be here and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone in this little community.

ronnie said...

ooo I should have put that suggestion in my post helen - I think commenting on blogs is a great place to dip your toes in blog land....

(ps lovely to see you here!)

Sara Bowen said...

Thanks Ronnie! That's a great post. Not sure about being a fount of wisdom - I don't know any more about it than all of you who took part in the first couple of projects, but I do feel very proud about how it's all taken off. It seems to have been/become a good thing for all of us, which is just great. Sara x

Helen M said...

I've just done my first post, Ronnie, and I'm wondering why the photos are not after the second paragraph where I had the cursor, but have come out on top with wrapped text. What have I done wrong?

ronnie said...

hi helen - text will try to warp around things as a default... not to worry - I'll go edit your post and FORCE them to go where you indicate....