Saturday, July 30, 2011

PAPER WRESTLING

I hope I'm not jumping the gun with this! I know Ronnie has her book, so I'm guessing (hoping!) that all the others have arrived.

So...how did I get to the final interpretation of Claire's poem? By a very roundabout route! I changed my mind more times than I changed my socks and this is winter, when I actually do wear socks!

Four metres of poem
This is the poem, written out on strips of A4 copy paper, just to see how long it would be.  I did toy with it, but eventually decided against it.

The envelope fold (which I do still like very much) had to be discarded when I couldn't get replacement paper for some torn corners.

Moving on...
The muddle I worked through...
Yet another muck-up. I mean mock-up!
I did want to do original drawings in each book, but realised I couldn't replicate my drawings accurately 15 times! So I bit the bullet and scanned them, then printed them.
 At some point I should tell you the "name" of my folded book. Um..I don't know that it has a proper name. I remember some wag at school handing in a maths paper on fractions which she'd folded thus and called " 16 sixteenths." And one of my books refers to this cut-and-fold as an "instant" book. I'm open to further suggestions. (Lord knows I called it quite a few different names as I measured and cut and folded!)

Making the template for the envelope


The envelope, with book


The envelopes and the paper string


Ah, yes...paper string. Ordinarily, I'd roll this on my thigh. If it wasn't deep, cold winter! So the red string that fastens your little paper envelopes is tissue paper,scrunched into a ball then finger-twisted into a length of "string." (The cats helped.Of course.)

Finally - what is inside your paper envelopes.


Yes, I have had moments when I wondered why I was doing this. But, in the end, I have to say it's been fun. Mostly. I finished with an edition of 15, which surprises me no little and quite some, to quote Damon Runyan.

I'm usually happier working alone, but having the blog as a sounding board is a great help. And I've had even greater help, locally, from Alison and email encouragement from Carol. Thanks, girls.

Sunday
I forgot that not everyone in our BAO group (not to mention others who chance upon this blog!) will see the actual books, so here  are some scans of the "inside" of my version of Paper Wrestling. The book can be read, in Western style, as a small book and can then be unfolded to reveal the poem, on the reverse. Paper size is A4.





8 comments:

Abigail Thomas said...

Well done! It looks fab! You lucky paper wrestlers!

Sara said...

Whoo-hoo! I've had great fun going to our PO Box recently as it's been full of wonderful books from you and Carol and Fiona! What fun... I love them all and thanks so much for participating. Sara x

dinahmow said...

Abigail...thankyou. And I've just realised that those not in this group don't know how the book displays.I'll post another picture!

Sara...thankyou,too.

Angela said...

This looks great - I agree with Abigail - lucky Paper Wrestlers! Also I really love hearing about the process and how people got there. Sounds like we all struggle with similar book making demons :-)

dinahmow said...

Yes, Angela...some things are a struggle.And my worst demon is indecision!

Abigail Thomas said...

love the extra photos too; thanks!

Carol said...

I shouldn't have looked because I'm still a week away from getting home and seeing my books - but I couldn't resist so I did peek. Looks great Di. I'm looking forward to unpacking all the BAO treasures.

Fiona Dempster said...

Thanks Di - I enjoyed this story and receiving my own book in the mail. It's quite a journey with many twists and turns and wondering what have I got myself into; but what great results!