Sunday, July 17, 2011

Codex Seraphinianus

I've just been to the British Library's latest exhibition on Sci Fi, had some classics on display but I was most intrigued by this; which is an encyclopaedia created by the Italian artist Luigi Serafini  in the 70's. In it he has totally made up a written language.


image taken from here 
Fascinating. . . My own fake language is still developing along with the whole fake archive; nearly there, will post again soon. 
How is everyone else doing?
Abigail x


Ps. I have connected the blog to a twitterfeed so each new post here will get tweeted on our BAO twitter page

10 comments:

Anna Mavromatis said...

Fantastic!
Thank you for introducing us to a fascinating work!!!

ronnie said...

too good!

dinahmow said...

my third attempt! Get your act together, blogger!

Trying to say this Codex looks like something that should be on my shelf.Thanks so much, Abigail.
(And my offering will be mailed this week)

Amanda said...

Beautiful work! Can't wait to hear more about your own efforts.

Amanda said...

I've just requested a copy as an inter-library loan through my local library. The lending library won't always participate, but fingers crossed I might get to see a copy "in the flesh". Thanks so much for the tip, Abigail.

Fiona Dempster said...

I love a made up language - so much more interest and intrigue than our own! What a wonderful world to create - looks great!

Abigail Thomas said...

yeah I have been looking for a library that has a copy here, other than the BL; looks like another trip to the National Art Library sometime over the summer.

Angela said...

Looks like a gorgeous book Abigail - thanks for sharing. Thanks also for sorting out the Twitter Feed - I couldn't get my head around it :-)

I am just putting the finishing touches to my rubber stamps - my book is going to be all rubber stamps. I am hoping to be finished by the end of July ready to post.

I dabbled with making a fake family history once (on my MA). I was altering photos to create fake ones but Photoshop was doing my head in so I gave up ;-)

Lynda Howells said...

Just been to see it too....AMAZING.......x lynda

christopher syn said...

whatever you might say or speculate concerning this book one thing is for sure that it is among the greatest works of imagination and art of our lifetimes...............