Saturday, May 21, 2011

impact heads up...

For all BAO peeps

Don't forget we will be exhibiting at Impact 7 in late September. soooooooo I will need to have in my little hands by the end of August (yep - this year!) all of the following:

* your completed 'art & lies' project (if you are undertaking that project...)

* your completed 'paper wrestling' project (if you are undertaking that project...)

... and to clear up any confusion - I'm making work for both 'art and lies' and 'paper wrestling' groups  you won't need to make and send me an extra copy of each - I'll take/exhibit the piece you send to me as part of the edition swap.... so far I have anna's 'art and lies' work and ampersand duck's 'paper wrestling' work.... (ps - I joined the 'paper wrestling' group after the start - so many of you in that group won't be aware that I'm one of you!)

* your current CV (for BAO edition one folk - I have a copy of your CV but it's no longer up to date - if you'd like to refresh details and send me a new one - please do so... if not I'll use what I've got)

* an artists statement and/or a statement about your BAO project/s (I have edition one statements - but if you would like to change what I've got - go for it)

* head shot (you can be 'creative' with this! and think small rather than large)

*contact details that you are happy to have made public (web and/or blog address, public email, snail mail if appropriate.... whatever you are comfortable with)


by all means send me anything else you think appropriate - I'll take everything with me to Melbourne and see what works out (ie if you have lovely printed version of your CV etc - you might like to send it to me, just in case..... don't send anything precious however as I'm not sure that I'll be able to get it back to you!)

and a small update on my BAO project progress - I have completed my 'paper wrestling' edition - but I'm waiting on 'something' that I need before I can post your copy out..... it may be a few weeks wait yet... sorry! I hope to get onto my 'art and lies' edition in july

if you've got any questions or if you think that meeting the August deadline is going to be tricky for you - please drop me a line...



righto - now its back to the studio for all of you!

7 comments:

Abigail Thomas said...

exciting!!!! and good to have a sort of deadline. anyone have any idea how long 1st class post from UK to you takes?

dinahmow said...

Post should make it in a week, but check with your local PO, Abigail.

Sara Bowen said...

OK... now I can start to panic! But my show will have opened by then so I'll have about a month to get it all to you...

BTW, Abigail, you need to allow 10 days for post from the UK to Oz.

Angela said...

I have given myself a deadline of the end of July so they are ready to post by the 1st of August (Eeeeeeeek!!!) Hopefully this will all go to plan, I am going to make myself a timetable to try to get it done. I am hoping I will have all 15 done by then unless there is some major disaster. At the very least I hope to most of the books made and one to send to Ronnie. Everything crossed ;-)

Abigail Thomas said...

Thanks; right so I will aim to post by the beginning of August then.

aine scannell said...

Hello all

I am pleased to be able to say that I am well and truly ensconced within this project. It really began to happen once I started doing some trial book forms using old non b.a.t. print proofs. Prior to this I had probably spent far too much time creating 'background plates using various aquatint processes.

Given that I had never stitched a book of any kind together, the prospect was somewhat overwhelming me and I realize now that I should definitely have started that part of the process much sooner.
Ironically having done a lot of the background plates I am now finding that the imagery is not utilising those at all or at least very little. Of course I have also realised that printing pages that have an image on both sides throws up a host of issues that were previously unconsidered. Such as for example having emboss marks from the back of one plate showing through on that same piece of paper to the image on the reverse side. This has affected my decision as to how the edition is to be printed.

So theres a lesson for anyone involved in further BAO phases, (that's how I refer to this part of BAO's overall mission when people ask me to explain what BAO is all about.

I say I wasnt involved in Phase 1 but AM IN PHASE TWO. Then, of course, I have to explain how there are two prongs to Phase 2.

And I am in "Art and Lies". I initially had all these ideas as to what I would like to create as a response to the text by Jeanette but then I began to realize that whatever I did I would have to be able to repeat it to a high standard ten times !!!
So the ideas I had would be for a single book which I am now thinking I might make into an actual installation.

I have learnd that making an edition is probably not something I will want to do again at least not anytime soon, as they say.

Being involved in this has made me want to explore bokbinding more......I defintely want to try out certain bindings like for example the "Secret Belgian Binding" - well that is, my interpretation or version of it. For some reason I love the idea of the thread or string that runs the full lenghth of the valley of the signature. I like that its possible to remove t pages and then replace those with differnt ones.

Thats quite enough from me. I am amazed at Sara doing both prongs of this phase - what a gal !!!

Oh by the way

Do we need to post the edition to each other participant

OR

do we send the entire edition to Sara ?

Hope everyone is getting along OK.

Aine

Abigail Thomas said...

Each participant Aine. Sara has the full list of addresses which she can send you when you need them.

Secret Belgian Binding sounds intriguing!