Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Acid Free Boxes vs. Normal Boxes

Here is a little update from me. It's been a crazy busy month; got made redundant (still working for at least another 3-6 months though), got into a Book Arts MA course (starts October, yay!), got a new laptop (had to get used to new version of windows!), have been looking after a very excitable young cat in my tiny little flat, along with as many other little things that have eaten my time. So, you can imagine I was very happy to get a few days off this week to get on with some more BAO work. Today was a productive studio day but I am still far from done.


It also highlighted my need to decide and buy the boxes that will house this archive 'book'. I have a dilemma; the boxes I would prefer to use are archival quality acid free clamshell boxes which are, no matter where I look, at least £6-£8 PER BOX (inc. VAT) plus delivery. Now if I were making a smaller edition then I wouldn't mind shelling out the money for the boxes, or in fact I might make the boxes myself, but seeing as the edition run is at least 11, if not my self inflicted 15, then I don't see how I can afford it along with all the other costs or have the time to make them myself...
My other option is to buy cheaper, more acidic boxes (which still aint cheap!) and then use some acid free tissue paper to line them. They don't look as nice, and are more flimsey. You see my dilemma?

7 comments:

ronnie said...

hmmmmmm - I'm looking into box-type things for one of my BAO editions too and going through similar dilemma ..... I hate that it's all about compromise - but sometimes that's what we face .... a series of compromises that comprises the end product...

Abigail Thomas said...

yeah its hard. i'm not compromising on much else when it come to the edition so its galling to have to compromise on this part, its so important to the feel of it all. :(

Sara Bowen said...

Hi Abigail, so sorry to hear about your job! And I'm a bit slow responding too as I've been trying to keep away from the computer for the last little while. You don't say how you feel about it all but you sound really positive and excited about your MA (where are you doing that BTW?) so fingers crossed it all works out for you... As for the clamshell box dilemma, hmmmm (to quote Ronnie!). I must admit I made the boxes for the last piece I did and 13 boxes wtih embossed lettering nearly killed me - but it was the cheapest option! Your boxes are bigger, though. Hmmm, again. I'd probably go with buying the non-archival ones and lining them, as you suggest, since the price of the alternative is outrageous! Sara x

aine scannell said...

I am interested to know about this - does lining them with the acid free tissue paper, make them archival ?

I darent say where I am with everything I have been generating loads of images through drawing and trace monotype

Aine

Angela said...

Sorry to hear about your job Abigail but congratulations on the Book Arts MA! Sounds wonderful! Like Sara I have been trying to 'cut the cord' with my computer.

Making them yourself should be the cheapest option as Sara said. I haven't done loads of box making but the one in the picture looks fairly simple (if you were going to make one exactly like that) because you wouldn't be lining it or covering it (or adding embossed text) like Sara's beautiful boxes from Project I.

Why not buy one of the expensive ones - use it as a template and make one of your own exactly like it? You can then suss out how time consuming and how much of a pain in the ass ;-) it will be to make it yourself. You will also be able to see which looks best.

Aine - lining with acid free tissue paper doesn't make the box archival but stops the contents being in direct contact with an acidic surface (the box). At least I think that's the way it works :-)

Funny I am also considering making a box for this project - will see how my experiments go :-)

Abigail Thomas said...

Sara; i'm doing my MA at University for the Arts, London - Camberwell ; http://www.camberwell.arts.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/ma_book_arts_visual_arts.htm
Aine; as Angela says, no it doesn't negate the acidity in the boxes completely, but will help a little bit at least
Angela; I know what you are saying makes sense, I think I am just trying to avoid another time consuming process for this project; each 'page' is already taking me an age to produce, so many background things to do etc... I guess I want the easy option of not having to worry about finding the time to make a box that I have never made before. I'm sure its easy enough (ha!) once I know how to do it but it will be a completely new experience for me; maybe not one to add to all the other things I have to do for this project. Maybe next time....
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Carol also mentioned on my other blog about perhaps using archive files instead of the box... might be a good solution. I will test it out. This is what I mean if you are wondering: http://abithomas.blogspot.com/2011/04/visual-research-archives.html

Anonymous said...

hi there - ever considered spraying non-archival boxes with archival mist or 'make it acid free' spray and then lining with tissue paper?

i think i'm going to try that myself to store some old photographs...

if anyone has had experience with this, please let us know!