Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Glyph Archive Book - finally getting somewhere

Me again. Finally got into the studio today and I am so excited! I love it when ideas just come together in the studio, its just such a magic place for me.

So after deliberating over using clay, fimo, etc... to make an inscribed tablet, and not being able to make my mind up over what book structure to use, and worrying about not being able to live up to the other amazing BAO artist's standards, and spending time in my studio surrounded by all my 'stuff' I suddenly thought to myself "What are you doing?! Do what you enjoy! Make what you like to make, what you find interesting, what you are passionate about! Make an ARCHIVE!"
It is a text about a library after all...







Now these images are of what I have been doing today in my studio. This is a mock up, a run through, a solid sketch. I needed to make what was in my head to see if it actually was going to work. I am not only very happy that this will work now, but also very excited about the whole thing. I mean imagine totally making up an archive....15 times, and making it look the same! It is going to be so much fun! 

Abigail

5 comments:

Fiona Dempster said...

Fabulous Abigail - it looks exciting and gorgeous and I'm sure must feel just right! Its wonderful to be in the studio and let go of the 'shoulds' and go with what you do, follow your way...I'm sad I'm not doing both books, but am looking forward to seeing the result!

Sara Bowen said...

I love that tangential way of thinking about the text! And I love boxes too, so the idea of receiving an archive maybe in a box is very exciting. I'm really glad it feels so right for you and the way in which you work, too. Sara x

Chris Gray said...

Go for it!....and have fun along the way :-)

I'll be watching how it develops.

Abigail Thomas said...

I think all book artists must also love boxes.. ;)

Amanda said...

Just saw this post and wanted to say I'm really excited by your idea. It is a unique way to come at the text and I'm dieing to see what you come up with. It will be so much fun receiving your box of treasures and delving through it! Great!