Thursday, February 10, 2011

behind the scenes...

on my completed edition's production!

I hope everyone in the Art and Lies group has received the package carrying my “response” to Winterson’s text. As I promised on an earlier post, here is the how and why in conceptualizing and designing my response:
light and darkness in the legendary Great Library of Alexandria
The works housed in the Great Library represent the brilliant light of knowledge, wisdom, education. Slavery, cruelty and disrespect for fellow beings, the cruel truth of child labour  represent the darkness, the excruciating pain felt by the abused through the ages.
Based on the emotions generated by reading the text and the memory of all references associated with the Library of Alexandria and the lost texts of the ancient Greece’s greats heard too often in school, the decision on the form, shape, colour and content of my structure was reached –I believe- on my subconscious all at once, rather suddenly and solidly concrete.
Here is a visual presentation of the steps taken to assemble and produce the edition of my response to Jeanette Winterson’s masterful lines of text.
my paste papers drying on the floor, text being printed on a sheet with archival ink, folding...
folding, cutting completed - back side attached
unlined and lined pieces being pressed
folded, closed, with "sleeve" on: front and back

materials, processes
concertina structure with cut out and pop out details
Rives BFK paste painted with acrylics, text printed with archival pigmented inks
black Canford | cotton thread | PVA | natural twine rope
traces of Greek text from the Law Code of Gortyn, c. 450 BCE, Crete

8 comments:

Abigail Thomas said...

I wondered what script that was... lovely book, thanks for the insiders info.

ronnie said...

thanks for this fabulous post - it adds to the experience of your book - and allows those who aren't lucky ones (like I am) who are able to fondle the real object to gain more of a glimpse.... it is this sharing that I feel is the core and the strength of this bloggy group - and i hope stray visitors glean something from the experience too.....

fabbo anna!

Carol said...

Wonderful result and a lovely description of your thoughts and the process of making.

Fiona Dempster said...

Thanks Anna for the stepping htru - I love seeing the process and even the paper going thru the printer was an eye opener for me! The book looks truly beautiful - I hope to see it in an a exhibition sometime perhaps...

Sara Bowen said...

Thanks Anna! Lovely to see all your photos - it's one of the nice things about using the blog as a central repository - we get to see the behind-the-scenes stuff too! I'm delighted to say that I received your package in the post this week and your books are wonderful! Sara x

Anna Mavromatis said...

Phew! I am so glad all books have safely reached their destination!
I am thrilled with everyone's comments;

Abigail, all main details are presented on a folded card accompanying the book, including the provenance of the Greek text.

Ronnie, you are THE most generous person and for me a true joy to know you and to know that one of my works is in your hands!

Carol, Thank you for the kind words, always...

Fiona, just a detail about the inkjet printing: each sheet had to go through the printer twice because of its dimensions; that meant I had to take in consideration the direction of both the material on the file to be printed and the direction of the paper fed through...

Sara, indeed this blog/meeting place for the BAO collective is one of the gifts for us all; thank you for masterminding it and for welcoming me in. I am happy to be a participant and proud knowing that one day I will be holding in my hands works by some of you...
Oh! I can't wait!!!

andrea said...

I am very impressed. Truly stunning.

aine scannell said...

I am in the "Art and Lies" group but have not received anything like this in the post. Perhaps you were not aware of this. Oh dear does this mean you did not make enough for me to have one? oh dear oh dear.

It looks very lovely and intrigueing