Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tentatively...





















Yes, it's true... I have actually been in the studio this weekend and spent at least 10 minutes thinking about the BookArtObject projects.




















I think I've decided on a leparello form for the Art & Lies book. As you know from my previous work, I usually have to get to grips with the form of my books first, and consider content later. This may be a bit back-to-front but that's how my brain works, I'm afraid!

As usual I've been flummoxed by the whole thing, wandering round and round in my head trying to work out how I want to do things and which bits of the text are the most meaningful for me. I'm a LONG way from finalising anything yet but I have decided on two things relating to form: firstly, the book will be a leporello format, probably housed in a slipcase of some kind. Secondly, one of the things carry with me about the text is the image of the boys tunnelling through the stacks of scrolls, trying to find things and so I am fairly sure that the final piece will have holes in it, connected by string of some kind. In this very unsophisticated mock-up I simply cut a round shape out of the folded leporello and threaded a string through it, pulling the string out to the right length as I unfolded the paper. I found that I don't like the regularity with which the string weaves its way through the flat leporello, so I imagine that I might make the holes in the final piece individual to each book.

Everything else is still being worked upon!

____ ~____

Sad note: unfortunately Aine won't be with us for Edition Two, although I hope she'll be able to join us in future. She's a wonderful artist and I for one was looking forward to seeing her books but it isn't going to 'work' for her this time around. *sniff!* I also suspect that we've lost Ellen as I haven't heard from her since Edition Two was initiated: Ellen, if you're out there reading this, please get in touch as we'd love to have you on board.

Lastly, a call to our newer artists! If you haven't done so already, please could you email me your postal address URGENTLY so that Duck and the rest of us can send you your copies of our finished works as and when they arise. No address = no books = great sadness!

6 comments:

Angela said...

Strange - I work in the opposite way content first, format later. I've never heard it called leparello before - learning new stuff all the time :-) It looks good and I like the idea of tunneling.

Sorry Aine won't be working with us it would have been interesting to see the work produced. Is this Ellen? http://www.ellensheffield.com Lovely work.

ronnie said...

I haven't heard of a leparello before now either!

I work somewhere in between - I like to get a handle on some direction with form..... I head off in that direction, trying out how the content fits with form...then find that more often than not, the whole thing mutates into a totally different creature! (I can start out thinking I'm going to make a simple concertina - and end up making a leggo sculpture!


your trials look interesting.... can't wait to see how it turns out!

Anna Mavromatis said...

It's so interesting to see how each one of us approaches the project;
to see the "idea" developing and slowly the developed/finalized work... that's a thrill! Regardless of the paths taken, or the method each one of us employs, following through the blog postings is an amazing ride and a great privilege!
Can't wait to see the completed works!
PS Sara, I emailed you my address a few days ago; hope you have it.

Carol said...

I found in Europe that concertina photo albums, the little touristy ones, were called leparellos. I think the name comes from the (very long) concertina note book that the servant Leparello keeps about Don Giovanni's amorous exploits in the Mozart opera.
I love seeing how everyone works on their project.

Amanda said...

Yes, I love this tunneling idea and the thread passing through - can't possibly imagine where you will go next!! As for how I work - I find I can go either way - from content to form (most often, so far) or if a form is particularly inspiring, it may lead to the book content. And as Ronnie says, it's quite possible to start with the idea for something and end up somewhere far, far away...

Rhubarb said...

It's funny how we all work so differently... Form is really, really important to me, and it often kicks off an internal dialogue about content - it's pretty much always the way in whch I work. I don't know exactly why that should be the case: I suspect other people think that maybe working with the form first is overly restrictive, or reduces the possibilities of content in some way, but for me it is just as important. I always need to have a REASON for something being the shape that it is, and that form is always tied to the content. Both are equally important for me, it's just that I start with one rather than the other. I have long internal conversations with myself about the 'shape' of things and how to express whatever it is I'm trying to express. With the Art&Lies piece it was to do with tunnelling: how to get the idea of tunnelling through the information into the final piece. The leparello signifies something about that 'disorder': scattered scrolls, frustration, not being able to find things, disarray... and the thread is knowledge, life, the physical experience of trying to find something in one place rather than another. It is also the metaphorical expression of knowledge: the 'threads of knowledge' that come to us through time, as well as being an indication of how we move from one piece of information to the next (web browsing is a 21st century analogue!), searching or accidentally discovering things. Now that I've wrestled (!) my way through that thought process (discarding porcelain paper clay, multiple scrolls and various complex unit-origami structures on the way) I can relax back a bit into the Stage Two internal dialogue which is about selecting text and images (or just text) (or something else entirely) to address the questions of content. Then there's a third series of questions going on about techniques, but that's a whole different story!