Sunday, November 21, 2010

Nestbuilding...

 

Tools





Rubber Stamp Text


Just some pictures of my work in progress for the Janet Winterson text. The Eyries of Books Extract started me thinking about building nests/safe havens, because the boys had burrowed into the books to make a safe place for themselves. Somehow this seemed like nest building to me.

I've started off doing some experiments with rubber stamps. I meant to do a tutorial because Jane asked about this when I did a post on my blog about the Homemade Rubber Stamp Workshop. I only realised half way through that I should have photographed the whole process. Text is quite fiddly to do with rubber stamps so I am not sure if its the best example for a tutorial.

I used the 'Big Mistakes' rubber which was actually very nice to carve, but not sure how durable it will be after its been used a lot. You basically get your image - in this case text  - and go over it with pencil, put this on to the eraser and go over the back of it with the pencil so the image transfers to the rubber - it will transfer over mirror image because you start off with the image the right way round.  Cut round the edge of the image with a scalpel as if you were using it as pen, cut at an angle away from the image so you don't undercut it.  Once you've done all the image you can stamp it to see what else needs to be cut away. I use a lino cut tool for the large bits. Keep stamping until you get it as you want. This is only 'edtited highlights' of the process, I will do a proper tutorial soon.


The text here was typewriter text with a picture of the original below.  I doubled the size to make it easier to carve  - original size would have been impossible. I like the way the text has turned out. I think this was another one of those experiments which I thought wouldn't work - and also was almost hoping wouldn't - because I know its going to be difficult to do if I decide to use it :-)


 

p.s I've also posted this on my blog. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I cant get the picture sizes right on here. If I make them any size other than medium it cuts off the border.


6 comments:

Rhubarb said...

I love making rubber stamps, although mine don't look quite as good as yours! And I really like your 'take' on the text - I see the similarity of approach to your last book, too. I can't wait to see how it is all resolved! Sara

ronnie said...

I'm really excited by what you're making angela - the safe haven as nest is certainly a very appealing and interesting idea to flow from the winterson text (I really enjoy seeing how other people think and work - I would never have made this connection!) and goodness that's certainly some fiddly rubber cutting!!!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this project unfolds

oh and ps - this blog has a narrower post area compared to your blog - that's why it's keen to hack off your pics if you try to post them as anything other than medium sized....

Ida said...

Thanks so much for sharing Angela - will try to get my hands on one of those kits - so far i have just made stamps out of lino but this looks much easier. love your idea about nests. look forward to seeing the book you end up with. cheers jane

Angela said...

Rubbers/erasers or so lovely to carve. I can still remember the first cut I made on my Birdy stamp and how nice it felt (that might sound a bit weird!), I just thought I'm going to like this. It is a very forgiving medium. Its a long time since I did lino but I remember it being really tough - and not so good if you make mistakes. You can buy these kits in the UK http://tinyurl.com/32ulrjt - a bit more expensive but good if you cant get your hands on large erasers.

Yes Ronnie, I love seeing all the different links people make, and it always amazes me the totally different approaches people take and the ideas they come up with. Also intrigued by what Sara said about the similarity of approach to the last project?

Here are some links for making rubber stamps. This one goes into all aspects of it in minute detail, down to discussing the merits of different types of erasers and what they're like to carve - its very good.

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/RubberStampMaterials.html

This one is has some really good general tips about carving.
http://hartx6carving.blogspot.com/

By the way some people recommend acetone for cleaning the ink off but this will eventually degrade the stamp. Baby wipes are brilliant and cheap and also recommend by my course tutor at Bristol.

alison said...

Thanks Angela a very interesting idea and fun to do. I intend to look at the links. I have been busy researching materials and ideas so feel like I am getting into it now.This is one I will try.
Alison

Ampersand Duck said...

I don't know how many of you saw Franki Sparke's work at Mackay, but here's her website: http://www.frankisparke.com.au/galleries/recent/viewgallery.html
Nearly everything she does uses rubber stamps, and it's all really beautiful. My studio is next to hers, and I love walking into it, with all the baskets of stamps that she uses as mix-n-match elements...