Sunday, October 10, 2010

Inspiration reminders

I have spent a bit of time over the weekend, pondering the poem, the book and my response.  My forays have all been very tentative so far, a little drawing here; some jotted notes there; a scanned image in the corner.

Some thoughts are gelling, but I am conscious there are so many things to consider - the words, how to respond, the layout, the format, the binding - that I sense it's going to be a case of just dive in, start something and then the rest may follow. If not, I might freeze and not take off at all!

Here's a shot of one corner of my studio (messy as ever) - with some key words from the poem stuck to one of the shelves to remind me and help me think about my response. I think I am hoping this approach might mean the words and response enter my mind subliminally.

6 comments:

Anna Mavromatis said...

Fiona, I am with you on this! I very much think and rethink the BAO project in a very similar fashion, pace(?) and approach; and although I've chosen the other text, still the concerns are absolutely the same.
So... what do you say if we plunge on this, quit the thinking, proceed to the next phase.... and start the actual work? I am seriously planning to do just that as soon as I return back from New York!
BTW I find great similarities on our walls, too!

Rhubarb said...

It's interesting how our creative processes work, isn't it? I'm a bit stumped at the moment becausee I really want to get started on the Winterson text but we don't have a response from the author yet (believe me, I'm pushing!), but I also know that my sub-conscious is starting to work on ideas. It's a bit like one of those dipping birds that swings forwards slightly, swings again, swings again and suddenly tips all the way over before righting itself: the point at which my sub-conscious tips is the point at which all the sub-conscious goings-on in my head, which have been swirling around just out of sight, spill over into my consciousness and I can really get going! I'm probably quite strange. Meanwhile I have to clear out a few other projects before I can start properly - and your studio, Fiona, looks great! Mine is shaping up slowly. Sara

dinahmow said...

Not.Showing.My.Workspace.NO!

But I like Sara's tipping bird analogy.Still with a couple of projects to finish,I expect to start in earnest by November.

Carol said...

I am slowly mulling, scribbling, folding, not really getting anywhere yet but I'm hoping it will suddenly come together. Like Fiona I have a list of key words - or what I hope will be key. Just waiting for that lightning flash of inspiration.

ronnie said...

I'm off with the permaculture pixies and don't expect to return to earth for a bit yet..... so I'm not even thinking about bookyartyobjected things....

Angela said...

Very good idea Fiona. I don't have a studio, but maybe I could stick one up at work, though I might get some funny reactions....while I'm giving tech support on the phone I could gaze at the text...(Especially since we've had permission to use the text! Hoorah again and thanks to Sarah!)

I like the tipping bird analogy too, which is a coincidence since they had one in the episode of Mad Men I watched a few days ago. Lets hope the permaculture pixies return Ronnie to us!