Thursday, October 14, 2010

Great news & colophon details

We can use Jeanette Winterson's text! I have just had an email - HOORAY! There is a line of text we must include in the colophon in every book and Jeanette would love to have one complete set of the books. Thanks so much for your patience, thank you Duck for suggesting a magnificent text, and thank you Ms Winterson for your permission and interest! Phew...

PS., YES, I believe we did mention making a complete set of the books inspired by each text for the author. I think it's a nice touch as well as being a good way to spread the word on what we're doing. I am planning to make editions of about 15 books: one for exhibition, one for the author, one for me, 8 or 9 (can't remember!) for the rest of the group and 3 for sale.

PPS., the line in the colophon MUST read as follows in every book in the Winterson group: "Extract by Jeanette Winterson from Art and Lies (© Jeanette Winterson, 1994) is reproduced by permission of PFD (www.pfd.co.uk)". I have to fill out a licence application for a one-time only use (i.e. for this project only), but the publishers have very kindly waived the fee.

11 comments:

dinahmow said...

Great news, indeed. (Even though I'm in the other group!)

Angela said...

Hoorah! Hoorah! I don't have to ditch my idea. No more excuses now, I can get started.

Thanks again Sarah for your hard work and persistence. I don't know how you keep it all going with all the projects and deadlines.

Rhubarb said...

Yes, I am greatly relieved... the element of doubt has stopped me from even thinking about possibilities for this book, while at the same time I've been trying to squash my excitement! Now we know what's happening I can let go and start thinking properly. Hmm, I'd better go and buy a copy of the book, too. There isn't one in Coffs Harbour and although I managed to get it as an inter-library loan I had to give it back and I think I'd like to have the full text to refer to. I found the few chapters I managed to read absolutely compelling, so I shall look forward to reading the rest of it now, secure in the knowledge that my book shelves will have at least one piece of good modern literature on them! Coffs Harbour is very funny: one of the two bookshops in town has a single shelf about 4 feet long, marked "literature". Everything else is wall-to-wall self-help books, crime fiction, sci-fi or DIY (and I have a few of each myself, but it would be nice to have more choice).

Carol said...

Great news! Now, early on in our discussions about these new works, someone suggested we each make a copy for the author, but then nothing more was said about it. As Jeanette will get a complete set of books, do you all feel happy about doing the same for Claire? I intended to send her a copy of mine but I think it would be lovely for her to have a full set too.

dinahmow said...

Oh! I thought we had decided to make an extra for the authors. I've allowed for Claire's copy in my plan.

Ida said...

good news. we can all start, no excuses. Sara, i was wondering if you could post the groups again. i remember something about you and duck being in both/maybe? thanks jane

ronnie said...

fantastic sarah - and thanks for hanging in there until it all got done! phew! I'm the same as you - I haven't allowed myself to dream any ideas just in case permission didn't come through....

I WILL however now start my fermentation process.... (and I'm happy to include an extra to my as yet undetermined edition size - see I haven't even given that thought....)

Abigail Thomas said...

woo! YAY! thats great news!

Amanda said...

That's great! Thanks for all the effort you put in Sara. I'm a HUGE Winterson fan so the idea of her owning a book of mine is somewhat daunting and also rather a dream come true.

alison said...

Well done Sara and I would love to do one for my author, great idea and how exciting for them to receive.
Beat of luck to everyone and my thought process is honing in on this more every day now that my orther projects are on the homeward run.
Alison

Anna Mavromatis said...

No more excuses... we are on!
BTW your studio looks wonderful Sara! I wish to be the place of many inspired and successfully executed and received artworks!
All the best to you and all best wishes to all of us and to a super successful BAO book creating project!!!