Sunday, October 3, 2010

Experiments & Some Good News!


Just doing some more experiments with freezing stuff in ice. I've started off freezing a feather and thought it looked so nice at this stage I would do a few test photos. I will gradually add more water to completely freeze it, but may end up going back to this image. This is for a series I've been doing called Weapons of Hurt & Healing. I've had the ideas in my head for some time and done must of the 'hurt' images. As I came to do the 'healing' I could really only think of one image which was the feather, which represents, birds, nature and wildlife. Now I am a bit unsure about the title for the series, especially after my boyfriend asked "how can you have a weapon of healing?". In some ways I quite like the idea because the concept of a 'weapon' of healing sounds good. What do others think? Initially I was thinking I needed more 'healing' images for the series,  but then I realised that you don't need several weapons of healing. Sometimes all it takes is one thing to heal you.

Now to the good news. I went to see Maria White at the Tate Library on Monday and she has bought my book '7 Signs of Absence' for their collection of Artists Books. I told her all about the project and she seemed quite intrigued that the whole project came about through a blog.

10 comments:

ronnie said...

lovely image angela - and lovely to hear the good news about 'learning absenses'(your wrok selling - and the subsequent interest) who knows maybe BAO may go viral!

dinahmow said...

Ditto.

Carol said...

Great news about '7 signs of absence', Angela. Your feather image is beautiful. I like the title 'weapon of healing'. Relates nicely to your 'hope is a thing with feathers' theme.

Rhubarb said...

I love the image too, and it's fantastic news about the Tate Library! Well done - it's a beautiful book and thoroughly deserves it. I read about your weapons of healing and thought about darts and arrows (feathers...) and thence to needles - all weapons but all with healing powers (Cupid's arrow, anaesthetic darts, injections). Don't know if that helps. Sara x

Luz said...

Felicitaciones!

Fiona Dempster said...

I love this image Angela - I have just finished printing some feathers myself... Congratulations with the Tate - that's very exciting and honouring. It is a lovely book and very deserving.

Angela said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.

Sara - yes that does help, a lot! And I should have made some of those connections myself, especially since I used to be a nurse. Its so nice to have people to bounce ideas around with and strange that a lot of you are on the other side of the world. Isn't the interweb great? ;-)

I wonder if we'll ever meet?

alison said...

Congratulations on the Tate success, that's really wonderful.
Love the idea of freezing,healing and just sorry I don't have a great concept at present to offer you and as a printmaker I have printed feathers and there is just something gentle about them.
Alison.

Abigail Thomas said...

Great news! I've met Maria several times, but no sales as of yet!

Angela said...

Thanks Alison & Abigail.

I've been collecting feathers for a few years now and have quite a few. Maybe they are not the most hygienic thing to collect, but I can't resist it when I see a really beautiful one. I suppose people think I'm a bit nuts. Gull feathers are particularly beautiful and I have some lovely ones from my back garden.
http://preciouslittlebirdy.blogspot.com/2009/03/gull-feathers.html

I found an old article from the New York Times and didn't realise that gulls were nearly hunted to extinction in the late 19th Century for their feathers. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50712FB385913738DDDAC0994D8415B8985F0D3

And of course that was the whole reason the RSPB started - to prevent the wholesale destruction of many species of birds which were just killed for their feathers. Its so weird to think that now. Having said that, feathers seem to be having a come back in fashion this season. As much as I love feathers I am always a little bit dubious about anything made with them - you can never be sure if they have been ethically sourced.