Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Visitors

Do you ever wonder if anyone reads this blog? You may not know it, because I don't think I've mentioned it, but I installed statistics software when I started this blog (you can take the girl away from programming but you can't take the programmer out of the girl. Or something) and every now and again I take a peek just to see if anyone's out there. And yes, they are!

In the last 7 days we've had 555 visitors (189 returning visitors, so even if you discount them we've had about 366 new visitors to the site), who between them loaded 965 pages. Generally it is 'page loads' that you look at rather than visitors because after all, a visitor may have got to your website by mistake or only looked at the front page; pageloads are a more valuable indicator of interest because the numbers indicate that visitors have actively selected pages to look at. Stat Counter also enables you to look at the geographic locations of the internet service providers who facilitated access to the site, and in the last week we've had lots of Australian, European and North American visitors, but we've also welcomed guests from as far away as South Korea, Hawaii (yes, it is American, but it's also in the middle of the Pacific Ocean so I'm excited!), Algeria and Hungary. If I want to get really geeky I can tell you that at 09:32 this morning someone in Sydney used their i-phone to look at our blog and read the entry about the Southern Cross University Acquisitive Artists' Book Awards!

So to all our visitors, hello and welcome! It's great that you are here and we hope you find something interesting to read. We also value your comments, so feel free to talk to us.

12 comments:

Fiona said...

Hello! This particular visitor from Canada, long-time blog reader and sister to SCB (she makes me read the blog!) thinks you could really do with a link to a photo gallery of Edition One!!

ronnie said...

corrr blimey! (oz speak for goodness me!) that's a lot of folk in far flung places stopping by for a peek

maybe we should tidy up and serve drinks?

Abigail Thomas said...

I think an archive of all posts related to Edition One and a new archive begun for Edition Two would be useful too. I know you can organise the 'Blog Archive' in the side bar like that but I have no idea how....

Abigail Thomas said...

Sorry, and its great news about the readership! Don't worry Sara, I love stats too!

dinahmow said...

Ooh, Ronnie...good idea, serving drinks!

Angela said...

You are not alone in your geekery. I've had Google Analytics on my blog, website and shop for almost 2 years. I don't think I've managed to get to the bottom of the all the features yet but its nice to look at the traffic sources on the big map of the world.

Blogger have also introduced a new feature if you make your default Dashboard 'Blogger In Draft' you can see Stats for the blog, but its not as detailed as Google Analytics.

Abigail's question about viewing all the posts for Edition One - I understand what you mean about the Blog Archive. The easiest way to do this would probably be Labels. You an add a Labels Widget to the sidebar, but all the posts for Edition One would need to be labeled up.

I've added a labels widget to my blog. When I did it it made me realise I needed to do a lot of weeding with my labels. I'd been adding them randomly and had lots of stuff in their that was irrelevant. When you add the labels widget you get the choice of labels you want to display. If you haven't played with Labels before you can find it under the Posting Tab and then Edit Posts.

Search this blog is another handy widget. I put this on my own blog initially for myself because I couldn't remember when I posted something and the Blog Archive bit wasn't giving me the results I wanted.

Abigail Thomas said...

ah great Angela; i knew someone would know what I meant! I will have to have a play with that on my own blogs.

Abigail Thomas said...

and so yes maybe its too much work to do that for this blog; some posts might have no tag words at all...

Angela said...

Its a bit of work but its worth it. You can add labels to a lot of posts at the same time by just ticking the the boxes. Its definitely easier if you are picky about what labels you choose as you go along. I had added random stuff like "blue" which didn't make a lot of sense. So I had a lot of weeding to do.

I was a bit confused between Labels and Tags when I started blogging. As far as I know Labels do not come up in Google Searches but tags do. I managed to add a Tag bar to my posts, but I can't remember how I did it. Probably found it on someone else's blog!

Angela said...

I found the link to add tags - it was on someone else's blog.

http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-do-i-easily-add-tags-to-my-blog.html

Abigail Thomas said...

I thought labels were tags! Now I understand!...ish...

Angela said...

I am no expert but as I understand it Labels are just a handy way for you to organise your blog. They don't come up in Google searches, something got to do with Google web crawler having a problem picking them up.

There's a lot of stuff in Google Webmaster Tools but I don't understand the half of it, and would probably drive myself nuts if I tried.

This refers to some of the stuff:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=80407&hl=en

I think Labels can be searched in Blog Catalog. I'm boring myself already so I better shut up ;-) SEO makes my head spin!