Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ex·per·i·ment

noun
  • a scientific procedure undertaken to make a discovery, test a hypothesis, or demonstrate a known fact
  • a course of action tentatively adopted without being sure of the eventual outcome
DERIVATIVES
Ex·per·i·men·ta·tion

Yes! That’s what I have been doing!
In reality I kind of do this most of the time: trying new approaches, new (for me) color combinations, methods, or just redoing a certain “story” perhaps from a new angle or with an unexpected twist!
So I have “entered” a phase of experimentation or to say it in a more down to earth way… 
I have been fooling around with ideas for the BOA project.

How about you?

9 comments:

dinahmow said...

Yes...I'd say "fooling around" pretty much covers my present stage!

Carol said...

Me too. Lots of pieces of paper, lots of scribbled ideas, and all the best ones seem to happen in the middle of the night.

Anna, I do like the look of your 'fooling around'.

Abigail Thomas said...

scribbled ideas here too; plus some floating ones and some searching for possible materials... http://www.modelshop.co.uk/product/1:16_Ladder__28.6_x_380mm_ML10002

Fiona Dempster said...

yep - scribbled ideas and the occasional experiment of different possible elements of the book. Nothing that could be considered 'bookish' yet!

Amanda said...

Yes, I have a couple of ideas which I put into my visual diary in an effort to overcome my terrible memory! I wouldn't mind getting cracking, but I'm waiting to hear if we get the "okay" for the Winterson text.

Carol said...

About getting the"okay" for the Beynon poem, Claire is sure that she holds the copyright but I suggested she ask her publisher just to be sure. As soon as I know the way it should be shown, I'll let you all know.

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

The ladder is intriguing Abigail - I presume you are thinking of the Winterson text? Hope we hear soon.

I have a moleskine notebook that I carry everywhere and I write down ideas when they hit me. For the middle of the night ideas that Carol mentioned I have another notebook and pen by my bed. I often play with paper while talking to people on the phone at work, playing with folds when trying to decide signature and page sizes.

I don't usually start experimenting properly until the later stages. This usually involves trying to decide what paper to use and making little small mock up books to try out bindings. Its interesting to hear different approaches.

Angela said...

All I wanted to do was change the spacing on my post - couldn't see an edit option so deleted and posted again.