Thursday, July 15, 2010

From "The Box: Remembering the Gift" by the Terma Collective

what in your life is calling you?
when all the noise is silenced,
the meetings adjourned,
the lists laid aside,
and the wild iris blooms by itself in the dark forest,
what still pulls on your soul?

in the silence between your heartbeats hides a summons.
do you hear it?
name it, if you must,
or leave it nameless,
but why pretend it is not there?

This is my suggestion to consider for project 2. It comes from something called "The Box", which I myself do not own. I came across this excerpt on a blog (thanks Mrs Bird).

On the matter of whether to open the group up etc etc. I will admit to agreeing with Angela that I have some concerns about how the project would be managed if it opened up much. I think the numbers we have are ideal really. Large enough for a wonderful variety of approaches and ideas, but not too big to manage. I think we could handle a couple more members perhaps, say a total of 10 at any time.

I guess it depends on how we want to go forward. I quite like the idea of operating a bit like a collective and I think the smaller size allows us to work in a particular way that a larger group would not. I have been in some of the large Yahoo groups where themed swaps and the like are conducted, and eventually the size of the group necessitates a much less personal feel, and also a lack of direction/control in general. I really like the people we have and dare I say it, "the standard" that we have already set.

Having said that, I do feel that as Sara's idea, her vote should have more value.  Sara, if you envisaged this as a larger looser group then that is probably how it should be.

5 comments:

Carol said...

This is beautiful, Amanda. I can see a book in this poem straight away.

SCB said...

I love the poem, Amanda! I too can see lots of possibilities in it... As for my vote being 'bigger' than anyone else's, that's not how I see it: I like democracy! Enlarging the group has pluses and minuses: on the negative side there is the option of larger editions, more work, a cumbersome group structure. But on the other side, there is also the chance of added inspiration, new perspectives, even new friendships. I definitely don't want to make more than about 10 in an edition, but I do think it would be possible to run concurrent streams, making books to different themes. The only way to find out is to try it! And if it doesn't work then we have the option of closing things up again, so I'm not worrying about it. Also, I'm not sure we're going to be inundated with prospective group members: inertia is a wonderful thing!

Angela said...

I love it too, great choice Amanda. How are we fixed for copyright and all that kind of thing?

Sara - how about putting the request for new member out to our blog followers?

Amanda said...

I'm glad you like it too! I don't know about permission yet. I thought I'd see what people thought before I approached the author, as I don't know them. I might wait a bit longer, till we see what others come up with. If it's one of the favourites, I'll get in touch.

Open Secret Bookstore said...

The Box,Remebering The Gift is a beautiful journey in a wooden art box. I just came across this beautiful item in a store where I work doing intuitive and healing sessions.

It moved me so I did an internet search and found this group.

If anyone is interested in The Box, Remembering The Gift, it is $275 plus shipping UPS.
Open Secret Bookstore, San Rafael, Ca 415-457-4191

Blessings to All!