Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Nearly There.....

Just another quick update of my work in progress. I've been working solid at this every weekend and evening for what seems like ages now. After a few false starts, I finally got my print alignment sorted out and printed all the signatures, which took a lot longer than I thought. Actually most things have taken twice as long as I thought. I had already decided on a pamphlet stitch, and after a few nightmares with endpapers, decided to do a sewn through the spine stitch which made it easier to sew in the endpapers.

I finally decided on embossing the text on the cover. I did one experiment and part of me was hoping I wouldn't like it - the thought of cutting out 10 sets of lettering filled me with dread - but it looked really good. In the end cutting out the lettering wasn't half as bad as thought. I bought a really good embroidery scissors and another finger cutting tool (not sure what its called its the orange one above) which made it a lot easier.

This is all the board cut out.

And this is all the signatures ready for trimming. They are all now trimmed and folded.


I am pressing the book twice, once after I've done the covers and again once I've sewn through the spine and glued in the endpapers, I noticed a slight warping of the boards on some of my practice attempts and this is working out much better. Because of this (double pressing) the whole process is taking longer again! I am working on it when I come home from work and leaving it in the press over night - which is effectively 2 days to make one book. That'll teach me for being so fussy.

So all the book components are ready, book cloth cut etc and just need to be put together. As of this evening I have made 3 of the edition of 10, and hope to have them finished by the 9th of May. I am totally exhausted, my wrists and shoulders ache, but its a good ache! I shouldn't complain, I know a lot of you have a lot more to contend with, like children, floods and moving house etc etc! I am really learning loads and feel I am moving from someone who 'dabbled' a bit to a fledgling book artist.



9 comments:

dinahmow said...

Angela, my hands and shoulders are kinking in sympathy! But this is a wonderful process update;thankyou for detailing it.

ronnie said...

these look FANTASTIC angela - really looking forward to seeing one 'in the flesh'

and I'm terribly intrigued by that orange handled thing.... I'm imagining all manner of things that its meant to do.... remove the fly eyeballs?.... capture fleas in mid-flight?.... hmmmmmmm.....

SCB said...

It's like being a kid at Christmas: lucky me, I get to look forward to opening ANOTHER exciting package soon! And Amanda, I think you need to drop the word "fledgling" from the phrase "book artist", which describes you perfectly without further qualification...

Amanda said...

What an interesting post Angela. Those orange things do look most intriguing... and the embossed cover looks gorgeous in the photo. Rust? A spider's web?? I'm DIEING to see your interpretation. Good luck with the binding!

Carol said...

This does look just wonderful, Angela, another exciting parcel to look forward to. I'm seriously working on my books this week and hope they too will appear in early May.

After an anxious wait (thanks Australia Post, I think it went via England), I received Di's lovely book - especially pleasing to me as I've been battering Di with all my woes and insecurities and I was delighted to see that I hadn't distracted her too much.

This is such a great experience - thanks Sara!

MikeE said...

Should not check in here, too tempting to make room for making books...

Ida said...

looks wonderful. love the idea of rust...and it so different to what others have done. keep going, not long now.

Angela said...

Thanks all for your lovely and encouraging comments. Its great to have some empathy. The orange thing is a 'finger tip craft knife'. You put your finger through the ring bit, its quite good for fiddly bits, like trying to cut a teeny triangle shape from the middle of the letter A.

http://fiskateers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/craft%202.JPG

Go for it Mike! I have no room at all. All the photos are my kitchen table. I don't have a work room. There's book cloth in my bedroom and book board and paper behind the sofa.

Ampersand Duck said...

That's the problem with making books -- everything *does* takes twice as long as you expect it to. [sympathy]. I've spent the last week cutting paper in preparation for printing, and I realise that I'm up for a few late nights over the next few weeks! so it looks like I will be the last, but I'll try not to be toooooo bad.

That orange knife is one of my new fave tools; I take it to all my classes & show it off. You can get one at any Officeworks, in their Scrapbooking section! Gawd bless Scrapbookers, if only for their tools :)