Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Looking ahead!

Helloo... you know what I'm like, always looking at the next thing in the pipeline! It's a very bad habit but one which I find hard to control. Anyway, before I get (any more) ideas about the next project, how do you feel about us writing up the current project for Sarah Bodman's Book Arts Newsletter? In fact I think there are various opportunities for publicity: there's the on-line Book Arts Listserve which is an email forum for discussion/promotion of all matters relating to artists' books and is an excellent source of information and advice, there's The Bonefolder which is an open-access e-journal for all things bookbinding and artists' book related, and if we take some good photos of our work I think there is also the opportunity to submit an article to Imprint, the printmaking magazine of The Print Council of Australia. There is even the vaguest of possibilities that next year's Impact conference (which will be in Melbourne) might be interested in a discussion panel on collaborative working...

BookArtObject has taken off brilliantly thanks to your involvement and what began in my mind as a way of reaching out to other book artists has become a fully-fledged project with a life and momentum of its own. I'm so pleased with what is coming out of the first piece of writing and I think it is worthy of being written up and publicised. The question is, how to do it? It would be great if somehow we could manage a collaborative article - with the proviso that no-one has to write if they don't want to! What do you think?

ps. the deadline for the Book Arts Newsletter is usually the beginning of the month prior to publication so, for example, the deadline for the June issue is May 6th which we aren't going to meet, but there is a new edition once every 4 - 6 weeks and there's no pressure to put something in right now!

8 comments:

ronnie said...

too good!

I'll put my hand up (for what I don't know.... but I'll put it up anyway!)

hey - did you notice that the impact conference is coming out of monash uni next year.... and as one of their HDR art and des students surely to goodnesses I can get someone's attention.... how does everyone feel about exhibiting? maybe in conjunction with the uni/conference? I have no idea who/what/how to go about it - but I've never let my total ignorance hold me back before... so why start now I say...

Amanda said...

Yes, yes, I'm in!

SCB said...

By the way, the link to Impact 7 at Monash is here: http://www.impact7.org.au/ Go for it, Ronnie! I'm sort of pursuing the idea of a conference paper with Tim Mosely at SCU because I've worked with him collaboratively on his Codex projects but there's more than one way to... etc, etc!

dinahmow said...

Well, yes, I guess I could pen a few words about the terrors of being a complete beginner in a rarified atmosphere.

Ida said...

Sounds great. I'll be in too.

Angela said...

Yep! I'm in - great idea Sara.

I am meeting Sarah B in June for - Artist’s Book Surgery Days -
http://www.uwe.ac.uk/sca/courses/book_surgery_cpd.shtml

Any ideas on how you want to put it together? Should we all submit our 'bits' and then one person puts it all together?

Ampersand Duck said...

I think both -- or all, I've lost count -- ideas are great. I'm just doing my book now, so I'll look up & spend more time on the general project once I've actually made my first contribution!

So carry on the good work yada yada :)

dinahmow said...

Another cyber friend has something on her blog you might like to see. http://chiaroscurochiaroscuro.blogspot.com/2010/04/learning-absences.html