Friday, January 29, 2010

learning absences...

Our wee girl child started her very firstest day at kindergarten this morning .... so for me it's been a day of mixed emotions - I'm pleased that she's so pleased to be embracing the whole thing (she's been counting down the days until this morning) but sad to wave my littlest baby goodbye.
I decided to spend the day working and reworking (and reworking) lettering for my booky edition as part of book*art*object project
 
 
(this is a sneaky look at something I think will be worked up into the final piece....
I'm finally getting somewhere at last!)
 
I've long loved the meditative process of calligraphic practice - letters/ words get into your muscle memory and your body seems to absorb a piece of poetry through the repeated practice. It seemed so fitting that I spent today writing out the words of Rosemary Dobson's poem - Learning Absences....

sigh

well I've kept my hands and mind busy.


(this is a version of something I posted earlier over at my home blog..... I've since collected the girlie from her school - she's had fab time - she may be the youngest and the smallest but she's the bestest smiler!)

2 comments:

Ida said...

Oh Ronnie, I understand how you feel. My baby left year 12 last year and that acknowledgement of stages passed is a real tug sometimes. Your work looks beautiful. You have the next phase to to enjoy, now.

Amanda said...

Ah, your own personal absence to learn - even if it's for a few hours each day. Well done getting through the first day so constructively! Your calligraphy looks beautiful. Best Wishes!