Monday, December 14, 2009

Little boxes

I'm still waiting to print out the paper to make the rest of the books but, as my studio gets packed up in a box (agaiiiiiiiinnnnn!) soon I thought I'd better get a move on with the boxes. I felt that the books need some protection and that the box had better relate to the book somehow!





































I discovered that the alphabet punches I bought last year are very useful, just in case you thought I was mad enough to cut the letters out by hand... although I did have to extract the dies from their casings and hammer the letters out individually because the hand-operated punch provided with the letters wasn't strong enough to punch the letters out of the paper I chose, and I chose stiff paper so that it shows up clearly when blind embossed under the book cloth! So far, so good. The boxes are glued, filled, filed and ready to be covered. And that's going to have to wait for another day as having been to school twice already today (once to drop off darling daughter this morning and then swan up to our block to take photos of the progress on our house, and then back again at lunch time to help darling daughter's classmates celebrate her birthday) I have to go back again now for a Board meeting. Drat!

Evennnntually the boxes will, I hope, be covered with black book cloth and lined with a digital print, the poem and the colophon we discussed earlier.

9 comments:

Ida said...

The boxes look great stacked up like that. I have been thinking about protecting the books too. It is a nice motif as well linked to the poem. you are making excellent progress. i'm having paper trouble!!

ronnie said...

oh very inspiring!

I'm really looking forward to seeing them covered in bookcloth - the letter blind embossing I'm sure will be a lovely addition

Amanda said...

These look great! It's exciting seeing everyone's books starting to come together. I'm enjoying this more than Christmas!

Carol said...

Yes, it is really exciting, and all the more impressive when all Sara's moves are taken into consideration. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's books come into being, and hope to be feeling the same way about my own soon.

dinahmow said...

Your boxes look good, Sara.I still have no photos to post! But I am beavering away, with frequent stops to run cool water over my hot hands.
We went down to the beach on Sunday and had a lovely ocean dip. After checking that others were in the water, we figured it was stinger-free!
Now...back to work...

Donn said...

You are so creative that is waaay kewl.
Are their jellyfish bobbing aboot at this time of year?

Donn said...

I am sorry that I wrote "their" OMG I am pathetic.

Angela said...

Wow, they look great. I've been playing with embossing too, but don't think my results look as good as that. I will try to post my work in progress soon!

dinahmow said...

donn...Ha! 'Tis the season to be...wary.